need mechanic expertise

Rymar

Cadet
I have a 40 hp Seaking made by Gale. The Tech<br />manual I have states fuel/oil mix at 24:1.<br />It runs like crap at this mixture. I've heard<br />that the new TCW-3 oil's alow this motor be run at<br />50:1 mix.I would like to hear what others have to<br />say on this, before I do any damage.<br /><br />B ring<br />O ut<br />A nother<br />T housnad

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: need mechanic expertise

a lot of opinions on this. I've found that my Big Twin ('57) seems to run best at around 40:1, or maybe a little richer. I don't think I would go to 50:1, but I've run into the same running problems you have with the rich mix.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need mechanic expertise

Hi, Rymar.<br /><br />The key is your bearings, on both ends of the rods. If they are needles you should be able to use a 50:1 mix.<br /><br />If they are sleeve bearings you need the additional oil of a 24:1 mix. <br /><br />The year your engine was made will give you what info you need. Gale (OMC) started with the needles about 1964. If it was made earlier, and your manual says it was, use the 24:1 and richen up the high speed mixture a bit.<br /><br />Good luck. :)