need liability insurance for 1977 stardust cruiser, i park it in a slip at the lake, it has a steel hull

airshot

Rear Admiral
Most any insurance company should have boat insurance. Mine is covered as an addition to my home owners insurance. Yes I have full coverage just like a car, liability, medical, collision etc. Have carried boat insurance thru my ins. agent for almost 50 years, never an issue.

timdeb

Cadet
thanks ill give em a call monday, the ones ive talked with quit doin them, im just needing liabilty now.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
having trouble with inurance
I have been down this slippery slope before with an old 30' Penn Yann. No decent carrier wanted to insure unless I spent a grand back in the early 80s for a complete survey. That mean hauling out and inspecting and full transmission and motor(s) inspection. No stone left unturned. I feel that if you finance like I did, ur screwed. Take out a bank loan and paying cash for boat may be your only sensible option. That's what I did but no insurance, except liability. Sorry....

timdeb

Cadet
I have been down this slippery slope before with an old 30' Penn Yann. No decent carrier wanted to insure unless I spent a grand back in the early 80s for a complete survey. That mean hauling out and inspecting and full transmission and motor(s) inspection. No stone left unturned. I feel that if you finance like I did, ur screwed. Take out a bank loan and paying cash for boat may be your only sensible option. That's what I did but no insurance, except liability. Sorry....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Call you insurance company. You will most likely need a survey

airshot

Rear Admiral
Lot of it depends on age and material boat is made from. I only have aluminum hulls so never been an insurance issue. Those with old wood and old fiberglass hulls might very well have a problem and require a survey. The couple times my ins co ask for an inspection, the agent and numerous pics were all I ended up needing. Also my stuff is always cared for, have maintenence records and pics to prove the condition, so never an issue beyond that for coverage.
Aluminum hulls are much cheaper to insure even though most of my boats are older models. My 16' tinnie, boat, trailer and acccessories ( valued at 6K) cost me less than 50 bucks for a full year on a trailer, stored in my barn, double that cost plus to keep it in a slip. Lots of things the ins co needs to consider when they give you a quote !!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Most homeowners policies will only cover small boats with low HP and limited speed potential. Then, you need specific marine insurance.

Some marine insurance companies will give you cheap rates for a new boat, and then raise the rate drastically when the boat is over 10 years old.

ALL insurance is based on the state you live in, and mostly how good your credit rating is.

Yes, liability is needed. A 45 year old boat will cost a lot for damage insurance. You need to call every agent in your area. Try, BoatUS, they have been the best for my boats. For antiques, Hagarty is the one to use.

alldodge

Staff member
Just add it to your home owners for liability only. Note the max is the amount that's on your home. I do the same for all my current boats.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Just add it to your home owners for liability only. Note the max is the amount that's on your home. I do the same for all my current boats.
That's news to me. I can barely afford HO, but if I could save a few bucks, I'd be willing to try.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
In my 50 years of home ownership I have only had 3 different insurance companies. They all had the same requirement for boat liability on a HO policy - max 25Hp and / or 30 mph max. boat speed. As such, my little tinny and my classic Lyman are carried on the HO policy. The other boats have their own separate policies.

Maybe it's a NY State thing, maybe I just had the wrong insurance companies - I dunno.

Regardless, the answer is to talk to your agent.

alldodge

Staff member
That's news to me. I can barely afford HO, but if I could save a few bucks, I'd be willing to try.
Have Farm Bureau Ins and cost about $200 a year for Seadoo, runabout and Cruiser all together.

farmers wouldnt do it, united marine wanted a survey
Only reason for a marine survey is if the boat it self is insured. Just guessing is the person answering the questions didn't know any better, or they really don't want to do it

airshot

Rear Admiral
My current ins is Auto Owners and the prior was Progressive. My 22' Islander with 140 I/O was not a problem (120 yr) and my current 16' Sylvan/ 40hp is less than 50 yr...both carry full coverage based on value. Again a quick inspection by agent and pictures were all that was required. Area can be a big issue and moored is another issue. Some friends have a cottage in Mich, same ins co, similar boat, similiar motor size, but their ins is almost 4x what ours cost !!! Go figure....