Need information for my chrysler 120 outboard

ginagirl

Cadet
It won't start. It is getting fuel and it is getting spark but the spark is really weak at the spark plug. It is getting a lot better spark at the coil. It has a cdi box.....could that be what is out? Is that one of the symptoms of a bad cdi box? Someone mentioned it could be the timing but they need to know which one is the first cylinder first...any info would be great on where the first cylinder is and how to set the timing on it.

As the title stated, it is a chrysler 120 outboard. the year is 1970 and the the only other numbers I see is 5201 so I am guessing that is the model number.

any info would be great and thanks in advance.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need information for my chrysler 120 outboard

Top cylinder is the #1 and they count down to 4. Firing order is: 1 3, 2, 4. Timing is set to either 32 or 30 degrees advanced at wide open throttle.

Sometimes the transistor inside the Motorola CD box will fail causing a constant spark at the plugs. Once the flywheel is set to spark the #1 cylinder, if you get a single crack spark, it is OK if you get a bzzzzzt constant spark, it is bad.

To set timing you do not need to crank the engine. Simply turn the switch on and with the throttle wide open turn the flywheel slowly by hand until the top plug sparks. There are marks on the flywheel indicating top dead center and 36 degrees advanced. There are usually a large line and four smaller lines on the block pointer above the carbs. when you get spark at 4 lines to the left of the large line, timing is set to 32.

To change timing. the screw set in two plastic blocks at the distributor is turned.

Take off the distributor cap and check for a worn center electrode, plug electrodes, and rotor. Separate the top and bottom halves abd check wires and prongs for corrosion. At the plug ends, check the springs for rust and breakage. They are steel springs that just spear into the wire eng. They do rust and break with age.

If you replace the wires uise solid core stranded. Do not use automotive resistor wire.