Need Info Please.

Fishalolic

Cadet
Hi all, new to the board, Bad fishing habit, somebody please help me!!!!<br /><br />Anyhow down to the question,<br /><br />Looking at a Trophy 2802, I know this board is full of anti-Bayliner banter, I also remember the 80's and their early boats.<br /><br />What I need is some honest opinions on the 1996 to current Trophys. I would prefer feedback from peeps that have actually owned one as opposed to the "My buddy said" type of answers.<br /><br />Going thru the boat and scratching around the bilge etc.. the 2802 seems to be a pretty solid boat, no blisters cracks or the like. It seems much better than the 80's stuff. I know JD and others rate it way below Whaler and Grady, but its also 50K cheaper too. Thats alot of bait and gas! <br /><br />So please fire away.<br /><br />Fishalolic

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need Info Please.

I own the 2802's little cousin...a 2003 Trophy 1802 and couldn't be happier. The fit and finish on the boat is quite good. All fittings on mine except the above water through hulls (plastic) are stainless steel and bedded. Below water fittings are bronze on those models with them. All deck mount fittings have backing plates (some imbedded in the fiberglass). The bimini top frame and fittings are stainless and the top itself is sunbrella and came with full curtains. The rail is also stainless.<br /><br />The boat is well designed for fishing and family fun. I've had three adults and two children fishing without any problems. It's quick and I've had it to 42 mph (by GPS) at just short of WOT. This is with the Mercury 125 hp 2 stroke carbed engine. The walk around is deep which makes it more secure for children and adults. The cabin, while small, will sleep two adults. Because it's small it's definitly not for weekends but ok for over night. The cabin cushions are about as good as the ones that were in my 1988 Searay Seville but could use an upgrade to marine grade vinyl instead of cloth. This model has two swivel post seats in the cockpit which are nice.<br /><br />I've had her in 2 1/2 - 3 foot seas and she was very stable. I've had no problems in the one year I've owned her and would definitely make the purchase again. I'll be looking to step up at the end of this coming season and the Trophy 2359 is high on if not at the top of the list.<br /><br />The Trophy line does not use wood in the stringers or below deck bulkheads. They are foam filled fiberglass. While wood is used as a core in places on the insert of my 1802, the deck itself is not wood. The hull comes with a 10 year warranty. And even though there's not much wood used the boats are on the heavy side which makes for a more stable ride. The weight compares to a Grady or others like it. All in all Trophy is building a very solid boat. I expect that the prices will continue to climb for a long time to come.<br /><br />
On+Trailer+Port+in+Driveway+2.jpg

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone who knocks the newer Trophys just doesn't know them well. They are well biult, and have the best hull warranty in the boat business to back it up. I have worked on a few, and other than minor spyder cracks i have seen nothing major to worry about. One problem they are known for is livewell leaks. They don't leak into the boat or anything, just fill with water from the deck due to a poor seal on the hatch. Not a big deal.<br />As for resale, proof is out there. Bayliner in general will hold resale value as well as Searay, Maxum, or any other Brunswick boat. Trophy actually holds value better!

Fishalolic

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I kind of figured that was the case when I looked at the boat.<br /><br />Kind of like Sea Fox, They are a cheaper boat but aside from a couple of screws backing out in the gunnel rod holders that a dab of lock tite fixed, it has been one heck of a fishing machine. I have had it in much bigger water than it was probably ever designed for and it never even gave us a groan. Considering that we normally put a couple hundred hours on it a year that is saying something. Yea Yea I know, its amazing that I am still married!!!! :D <br /><br />Once again thanks for the info.<br /><br />Fishalolic