Need HP Capacity Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 1988 Riviera Cruiser that's 20' long and I cannot locate the capacity plate on the vessel. Does anyone know the max HP it's rated for? I've done some online looking and found 70hp on one site, but that seems low. Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

ahicks

Captain
70hp doesn't seem low to me at all. It was a pretty unusual pontoon back then that had anything bigger than a 40 or 50 hp on it. If you wanted to do anything but putt around/cruise with it, you also had a ski boat....

When talking more power, my concern would be the transom/engine pod. Many boats this age had "adjustable" transom heights, using some hardware that most would consider pretty light for something like a 70 (they were often rated for 40hp max). Worse, is what this hardware was attached to. That can be REALLY light duty structure.

Last, this is a boat that's coming up on 35 years old. Due diligence making a re-power decision should include a really careful inspection of the motor pod and the structure it's fastened to. Original hp rating be damned....

70hp doesn't seem low to me at all. It was a pretty unusual pontoon back then that had anything bigger than a 40 or 50 hp on it. If you wanted to do anything but putt around/cruise with it, you also had a ski boat....

When talking more power, my concern would be the transom/engine pod. Many boats this age had "adjustable" transom heights, using some hardware that most would consider pretty light for something like a 70 (they were often rated for 40hp max). Worse, is what this hardware was attached to. That can be REALLY light duty structure.

Last, this is a boat that's coming up on 35 years old. Due diligence making a re-power decision should include a really careful inspection of the motor pod and the structure it's fastened to. Original hp rating be damned....
Thanks for the reply! That's what I've been hearing from guys I've talked to locally. I've got a 45hp on it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.