Need Help

Berniec

Cadet
I have a 1996 wellcraft 238 costal, water will not drain from the cabin floor
I've tried to snake the drain, any ideas?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard.

is this a new to you boat or a boat you have had for a while that has a new problem?

your 1996 wellcraft is built when there is still wood in the stringers. so my guess is there is a bit of rot happening under the cockpit sole.

can you tel if the cabin has a sump, or does it drain to the bilge?

Berniec

Cadet
I've had the boat for 3 years, I keep it in a slip
Noticed the problem earlier this year
There is no pump
I actually drilled a 4" :access hole" in the floorboard to inspect
beneath the floor there is foam, after cutting some of it out I found
a stringer in tack, (no rot still covered in fiberglass) I can't see anywhere for the water to drain to

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Be good to find where the water is coming in. Some boats, the cabin area sits lower than the stern. It can't drain like that. Find out why it sits lower if that's the case. You can install a pump in the area if there is space. I've seen some boats that get loaded up with way to much storage junk and thus makes it heavier and the boat doesn't sit properly in the water.
Edit: How about a picture of how the boat is sitting at rest in the slip right now?

Berniec

Cadet
Not sure where the water is coming from, Rub rail looks good no splits or cracks anywhere. The cabin does not sit lower, in fact I pulled it out of the water to work on this & have the bow elevated ( jacked up the front of the trailer) I believe I can get a pump in there now that I can access it
I can not find a hole or drain in the stringer for the water to pass through to get to the stern, its seems solid from the hull up the floorboard
Thanks for your help, any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Have you checked the thru-hull by the sink? I looked up your boat online and saw it had one. Even with the valve shut off it could still leak at the fitting itself. Or the fresh water system is leaking somewhere.

Berniec

Cadet
The fresh water pump was taken out just before I bought the boat & I never replaced it. If water was still in the tank it could be coming from that water line, it was not plugged. I just found it while working on this issue. I'll plug
it and keep an eye on it. I'll check the thru-hull as well
Thanks

airshot

Rear Admiral
I've had the boat for 3 years, I keep it in a slip
Noticed the problem earlier this year
There is no pump
I actually drilled a 4" :access hole" in the floorboard to inspect
beneath the floor there is foam, after cutting some of it out I found
a stringer in tack, (no rot still covered in fiberglass) I can't see anywhere for the water to drain to
"Still covered in fiberglass" does not mean anything, you really need to drill a hole thru that glass into the wood to check the wood chips. When rot becomes noticible, it is far along and serious work is usually needed. Not trying to ruin your day, but to be safe, you need to do some serious investigating !!

Berniec

Cadet
Thanks for the advise. There is a boat builder not to far from here I'll see if he will look at it

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not sure where the water is coming from, Rub rail looks good no splits or cracks anywhere.
So did mine until a closer inspection with a hose and water
Overtime and lots of pounding, the screws holding the liner to the hull came loose. Water was getting behind the rub rail and thru the openings in the joint.

Removed the rub rail and removed the screws one section at a time. Filled joint with 5200 and screwed everything back together. Problem solved
I can not find a hole or drain in the stringer for the water to pass through to get to the stern, its seems solid from the hull up the floorboard
I'm confused.
You started off with water will not drain from cabin floor then moved to limber holes.

Do you not have scuppers and or cockpit drains that drain directly overboard via thru hull fitting?

The only water that drains through my limber drains is from the anchor locker.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
"Still covered in fiberglass" does not mean anything, you really need to drill a hole thru that glass into the wood to check the wood chips. When rot becomes noticible, it is far along and serious work is usually needed. Not trying to ruin your day, but to be safe, you need to do some serious investigating !!
As I started reading this came to mind. I pulled the floor on an old glass boat to look into soft spots years ago and found the glass looked great on the stringers. I thought I was only dealing with some punky decking but the fiberglass stringers were all but hollow. Transom was gone also. Worth a closer look.

Berniec

Cadet
Thank you for your advise & input, I will certainly take a closer and thorough look