Need help with winterizing first boat

jasondw78

Cadet
I purchased a 2000 Four Winns Horizon 180 LS as my first boat.

Anyone able to help with how to winterize it?

alldodge

Staff member
Being a 18 footer it most likely does not have a fresh water system and your asking about the motor. If so need to know what motor and we'll move the thread to the motor section

jasondw78

Cadet
Was told it has a chevy block, says Volvo 4.3 GL on the intake. Valve covers say V6 Vortec

alldodge

Staff member
The GL is easy enough
Assuming you raw water cooled so you will have at least 2 drain plugs and maybe 4

One on each side or the block down low
One on each of the exhaust manifolds

Pull the plugs and and use a wire or long screw and prob up inside the hole to make sure nothing is in there that may keep all the water from draining.

If there are no plugs on the exhaust manifolds, remove the lower hose and drain the water

Remove the lower hose going into the raw water pump in front of the motor.
After all this the motor is winterized. If you choose to add antifreeze to the block, then reconnect hoses and plugs and pour into thermostat housing hose, otherwise place plugs in baggy and tape to helm so not to forget to reinstall come spring

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
After you change the engine oil and filters. You drain the motor

The 4.3 should also have the plug at the thermostat cross over. That will make 5 plugs

Pull the hoses going to the raw water pump to drain them

Check the drive gear oil for water. Change if needed.

Also highly recommend pulling the drive and doing the annual drive service

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also….you will have to be able to get parts of the boat that are in your way out of the way (seats etc) to access the drains especially the block drains those are the worst to get at….
On many of these there is a power steering cooler on the back of the engine to get the water out you disconnect the raw water intake hose at the impeller and point it down in the bilge. Next put the outdrive down and pour -100 marine AF in that raw water intake hose till it runs out the outdrive water intakes. That will push out any remaining water. There is a drain plug on the cooler but they are hard to get at.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also….you will have to be able to get parts of the boat that are in your way out of the way (seats etc) to access the drains especially the block drains those are the worst to get at….
On many of these there is a power steering cooler on the back of the engine to get the water out you disconnect the raw water intake hose at the impeller and point it down in the bilge. Next put the outdrive down and pour -100 marine AF in that raw water intake hose till it runs out the outdrive water intakes. That will push out any remaining water. There is a drain plug on the cooler but they are hard to get at.
I have also put the hose to my mouth and just blew the water out. Worked fine. But I use to do it the way you are suggesting