need help with teleflex rotary steering

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class
well i was right in the inlet today and my steering quit. anyways got it home and get to looking at it, its a teleflex system, rotary type single cable on a 06 70hp yamaha. it has a quick disconnect at the helm and of course the steering rod through the tilt tube. there is another cable coming out of the top of the helm and i cant figure out whats going on with that? there is a long greasy threaded cable coming out of the casing a pretty good ways, i know not supposed to be like that right? the steering wheel spins freely like its not attached in any way. is the helm broken or does this cable wind back into it?? i have never messed with this type of steering before :confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need help with teleflex rotary steering

top to cable is the end of the cable, you thread it into the bottom the gears grip it and it comes out the top, this is the movement that of the cable that turn the motor. that end move in and out, as the bottom part pushes or pulls the motor. make sure the quick disconnect is pushed all the way in and connected. if it popped loose you loose your steering. the quicl connect holds the outer sheath, so the steering cable slips inside, moving the motor.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: need help with teleflex rotary steering

so i should be able to just get a new cable and feed it in there? old cable is definitely broken