Need help with stereo!

oregon00

Seaman Apprentice
hey,

could i install a car stereo and speakers into my boat or do i need to get the marine ones? im on kind of a tight budget...what should i do?

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help with stereo!

i have had a cheap car stereo and speakers in my boat for years and have not had any trouble with them. If the speakers get wet, who cares, they were cheap i will buy replacements.

trvltime67

Recruit

i put a car stereo in my boat and as long as there is no way water or rain can get in your stereo you should be fine and for speakers i went to wally world and pick-up a set of speakers for around $20.00 i think there red and the cones are
plastic good luck with your install and happy boating my boat is a 89 bayliner Capri

bronzebomber

Cadet

I mostly agree with the other posts. The speakers are the same (except with "pretty" white covers. The may have been sprayed with some "waterproofing" chemical, but you can buy some "3M" brand spray at Wally World and do the same thing.

As far as the radio, most quality marine radios circuit boards and electronics are sealed or coated with a silicon type material. Most car stereo electronics printed circuit board are also coated, but just not as thick and won't have the "silicon" on the other electrical parts.

On a budget, I would (and have) sacrificed that "pretty" marine white for some tunes. I would recommend covering the radio with something if the boat is stored uncovered outdoors.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can buy water proof/resistant housings that the head unit mounts into. Does a good job of protecting the unit.

oregon00

Seaman Apprentice

thanks! looks like ill be putting in regular speakers and radio! ill keep everyone updated!

Nandy

Commander

You can buy water proof/resistant housings that the head unit mounts into. Does a good job of protecting the unit.

That is the way to go even with marine radios...