Need help with fuel system

pdlnole

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
1
Hey guys (and or ladies), new member here, and I have a problem.<br /><br />Let me start from the beginning.<br /><br />I have a Force 35 HP, not sure of the exact year, but it is the white model.<br /><br />It has had a flooding problem since I first bought it. It would run fine as long as the throttle was opened, but once you got to idle it would start loading up, and finally just die. It would start right back up and run, but wouldn't idle very well.<br /><br />This past season it wouldn't start at all. I replaced the fuel pump diaphragm, and rebuilt and cleaned the carb with the limited parts I got with the kit. It DID NOT have a new float or needle valve.<br /><br />The engine started on the first turn and idles better than it ever has, but now it is just opposite as before. It seems to start flooding when I apply the throttle. Not enough to kill the engine, but it will not rev up and it smokes in a way that makes me think flooding. It will rev slightly above idle, but no farther. It doesn't really bog down. It seems that it just isn't opening up in the carb. It the past I have had others that would flood, but would gain speed. This one doesn't gain any speed nor does it flood enough to kill the engine. I tried using the choke, but it just kills the engine.<br /><br />I have checked the linkage, and it is moving the lever on the carb forward for more fuel, but its a no go. Seems to rev better when not in gear, but not the way it is suppose to.<br /><br />Any suggestions would be appreciated
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: Need help with fuel system

Hello pdlnole and welcome to iboats. Does the primer bulb stay or get hard? Verify that when the throttle is at its lowest setting that the throttle butterfly on the carb is completely closed. Also verify that when the choke is not engaged that it is completely opened which would be at a perfect right angle from being closed.<br /><br />Also go through all the fuel lines to verify that there is no leaks and that the primer bulb is working correctly. You may still have a problem with the fuel pump or the carb but at this point I would rule them out and look elsewhere.
 
Top