Need Help With Force Motor

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need Help With Force Motor

I have cleaned all internal parts to the carbs, the one piece I could not remove is a little straw like peice connection from the bowl to the top of the carb. Do I need to remove this to clean it?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

No, I would not recommend that you mess with the by-pass tube. Just make sure it's clear with a good squirt of carburetor cleaner. Carburetor cleaner should squirt out of the upper part of the carburetor throat. It's fragile and is easily damaged.

Have you checked the float height by flipping the carbs upside down?

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, the float level apears to be just as it is in the picture. I am cleaning the second carb tonight and reinstalling them tomorrow.

PaulO

Petty Officer 1st Class

The suspense is killing me :D

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

ME TOO! I think its going to start soon though. My wife keeps making comments at how much I am spending on it but it will all be worth it when it's back on the water.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I feel like I?ve been robbed. The 16 bucks I spent on the CDI part came today. I turned it over and it is the EXACT bridge rectifier that radio shack sells for 3 bucks. I mean exact!:mad:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yep, probably made by the same manufacturer too!

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am waiting to see a video of this motor:)...I have been following this forum very close and I hope for the best for ya Brian!! Hopefully the carbs will do it!!

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks,

I am reinstalling tonight, I have scrubbed with a tooth brush and used carb cleaner, all of the ports are flowing good with the cleaner.

I noticed that the fuel leaks from where the fitting goes into the side of the carbs, the brass T on the lower and L on the upper carb. should I put some kind of thread seal on this?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

This is a pipe thread so tightening it up one more turn will usually fix it. You can use teflon tape, however, be careful how you apply the tape. Don't apply the tape over the first few threads that go into the carburetor body. Sometimes the tape will get cut off and float around in there causing problems.

maxum_man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use pipe dope on Engine Applications. Use just enough to get the job done and like PNW said, stay away from the end.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

will do- heading out now to reinstall the carbs.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I called the game on acount of rain. My boat is outside and it is pouring rain. I did check out the carbs under a little more light and they are much cleaner than when I took them off and started the process.

Well, I am going through back a couple of cold ones and do some shopping on line tonight for a timing light and compression tester.

I am going to try to fire it up tomorrow night.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Carbs reinstalled. Didn't help. I put the fuel in the the plug hole and got one loud pop.

Any ideas?

PaulO

Petty Officer 1st Class

By-pass the neutral start switch by running a bit of fuse wire to both terminals.
Get an empty spray bottle and put some fuel mix in it.
Start it in gear
Have someone competent man or woman the throttle with the throttle valve open and cranking over while you spray fuel mix into the carb throat. Open valve will lean the mixture somewhat getting more air and the spray bottle will atomise the fuel better.

Reduce the throttle after it starts and see if you can find a setting where it is happy running continuous.

Don't forget the water and muffs

Don't crank for periods longer than 15 secs and only try 3 attempts and let the starter motor cool for a bit.

Have a fire extinguisher ready. I'm not saying it will light but just as a safety precaution.

Careful the hose doesn't get caught in the prop.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I will give this a shot, going fishing in the morning but will be home by 9am. Also in a previous post someone had mentioned the idle screw being 1 ? turns out from the seated position, my carbs are set at a full 4 turns. Could this be affecting the starting?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Four turns out from lightly seated is too rich. While it may not affect starting, it will certainly affect the motor's ability to idle. Set them at 1 1/2 and give it a shot.

chuck palmer

Cadet

Well I feel for you, i just rebuilt my 125 and been haveing a terrible time...good education though...well one thing after reading all this...when you check your spark pull all your plugs out and build some ground wires with some alligator clips..ground each plug to the block and check spark like that to make sure you have no internal ground issues when the plugs are in the motor...I found this problem....the other thing is that your reed valves may be stuck or carbond up and not allowing a vacum to create in your cranckcase to get gas into the cylinder again causeing the flood of gas out the front of the carbs....

let us know how you are doing...