Need help with boat ID

wahyadanata

Recruit
Brand new boat owners. Found this 1989 Bayliner Capri for a heck of a deal. However, I cannot narrow down which model it is to get a manual on it. Can anyone help Id, or point me where to go on this? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-095142_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-095142_Facebook.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210423-095144_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-095144_Facebook.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210423-095148_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-095148_Facebook.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210423-095152_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-095152_Facebook.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20210423-095156_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-095156_Facebook.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 13

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Howdy.

She's gonna need a lot of work.

If you're looking for a manual for the boat, check on the Bayliner site under Owner's Resources. You may find an Owner's Manual there, but OM's are mostly worthless.

What you need is a manual for the motor and drive. What brand? I have my suspicions, but I'm making a guess.

wahyadanata

Recruit
Howdy.

She's gonna need a lot of work.

If you're looking for a manual for the boat, check on the Bayliner site under Owner's Resources. You may find an Owner's Manual there, but OM's are mostly worthless.

What you need is a manual for the motor and drive. What brand? I have my suspicions, but I'm making a guess.
Honestly not sure. The motor fires and kicks over, all the Guages and electrical works, it was last on the water in 2017. I guess my issue is i have no idea how to find parts for it? I know wood/carpet/etc all needs an overhaul.

southkogs

Staff member
Looks like an 80s model with an "L" drive. :oops:

Welcome aboard.

wahyadanata

Recruit
Looks like an 80s model with an "L" drive. :oops:

Welcome aboard.
It is! is that... a bad thing? Lol your emoji has me a bit confused.

All I know it 1989 Bayliner Capri. But i cant figure out how to tell if its a 1700,1770, etc 🤷‍♀️ Im also not sure if its the original engine.

southkogs

Staff member
Engine is original ... LOL ... nobody else wanted 'em :)

The "L" drive is a Force sorta' inboard, sorta outdrive. Force isn't necessarily a bad outboard motor, but they're obsolete and don't have a great reputation. The "L" drive mounts up like they stuck the outboard out the bottom back of the boat ... and for the most part they didn't work well. Many / most in the marine world consider the drive a total bust.

Bayliner didn't have the best construction in the 80s. So, you've likely got a lot of rot going in that thing that you can't see, and there's a bunch of work to do. It has the (serious, and not a stretch) potential to be almost double the cost of buying something that is nearly lake ready. So, do a solid gut check before you start spending a buncha' money on that boat.

wahyadanata

Recruit
Engine is original ... LOL ... nobody else wanted 'em :)

The "L" drive is a Force sorta' inboard, sorta outdrive. Force isn't necessarily a bad outboard motor, but they're obsolete and don't have a great reputation. The "L" drive mounts up like they stuck the outboard out the bottom back of the boat ... and for the most part they didn't work well. Many / most in the marine world consider the drive a total bust.

Bayliner didn't have the best construction in the 80s. So, you've likely got a lot of rot going in that thing that you can't see, and there's a bunch of work to do. It has the (serious, and not a stretch) potential to be almost double the cost of buying something that is nearly lake ready. So, do a solid gut check before you start spending a buncha' money on that boat.
Thank you! We paid 350 for the boat and trailer, which we feel we could turn around and get back for it, if this project turns into being too much. 👀

southkogs

Staff member
You can get that out of the trailer, and probably get more if you wanted to part out the drive. The boat itself will take a few thousand dollars and a lot of time to get it back to good condition. The 80s Bayliner Capris have a cool look to them, and when in good shape they ride nice on smooth water.

Look carefully into the stringers on that boat. A few things in the photos suggest to me that the deck isn't the only thing that's gone on that one.