Need help with bilge pump

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class
My bilge pump died and it is in a very tight space, it is hard to get tools to it.

It is a Johnson Pumps Mayfair model, allegedly I can replace just the pump cartridge but I can't seem to figure out how to get the pump out.

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Thanks.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Need help with bilge pump

If it's like mine and most I've seen, you just grab it and turn it counterclockwise about 1/4 turn and it pops right off. Good Luck!

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah? it doesn't seem to want to turn.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

then replace it. and keep it as a back up if you firgue out how to open. but yes everyone I have seen requires 1/4 turn, remove blockage and re-install

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

soory re-read post, sound like you need to cut access hole. pull pump and you will be able see how to get it apart. there are water tight ocvers that you can use for thios that are just about flush this deck or where ever its mounted

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Rule pumps have two tabs that you have to depress to remove the pump body. Maybe yours is like that...:confused:

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Moody Blue

Captain

Get yourself a small mirror and a flashlight. You should be able to get a good eye on what is holding it in place.

Pumps I've come across either are 1/4 turn release or the two tab type as mentioned previously. If really stumped, check the mfr's website for a manual or instructions.

Before replacing the pump, have you checked the fuse to be sure it hasn't blown?