Need help with an outboard decision for a 3.8m Grand Raid Compact

Disko

Recruit
Gday,

New to this forum..so please be gentle..hehe
I just purchased myself a brand new 2005, Grand Raid Compact from a military surplus auction and I am trying to decide what motor to fit to it. It only takes a short shaft, so my options are limited. The boat is rated to 40hp max. My two option are a new Mercury 40hp LW, or a new Yamaha 30D. I can get the Merc for $4000 (AUD) approx and the Yamaha for $3000 (AUD) approx. I am leaning towards the Yamaha as it is an excellent motor and at an awesome price and overall cheaper, however I am concerned that the boat may be sluggish? I will predominantly be using it for fishing, towing the kids in a tube, and for thrill rides. Anyone have any ideas on this issue. Should I go the whole hog and strap the 40 on or is the 30 going to be fun enough??

Regards,

Disko

Disko

Recruit
Re: Need help with an outboard decision for a 3.8m Grand Raid Compact

Well...I have gone down the 30hp Yamaha path....should have it in a week or so...sill wouldnt mind hearing peoples thoughs on the acquisition.

Cheers,

Disko

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help with an outboard decision for a 3.8m Grand Raid Compact

You may want to consider posting in the Inflatable and RIBs forum here at iboats, It gets a lot more traffic than this one.