Need help with a Merc Alpha One Gen 1 from 1974

wade7575

Cadet
My friend got a 1974 or 1975 Starcraft Chieftain 24 and we had to take the stern drive off and we need to find out a few things.

The stern drive is an Alpha 0ne Gen 1 and when we took the gimbal housing off of hull there was a cork like gasket between the gimbal housing and the hull and we can not find anyone who makes a replacement gasket or what it is called.

Can anyone provide me with a link to that gasket if they know of anyone who still makes it,when it I said the gasket is cork like that's what we think it is but are not sure,also the gasket is a big flat cut out gasket,I seen a gasket that looks like a peace of round solid rubber that comes coiled up in a bag that you stick onto the gimbal housing but it's not the same one.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
That would be an MC-1 style gimbal housing with a flat, cork gasket used to seal the housing to the hull

The round seal you mentioned finding is for a newer vintage R/MR/Alpha one style housing and will not work

If you can't find a replacement for the flat gasket in oem or aftermarket you can always make a gasket, or roll the dice and seal the housing with silicone/etc...

Guessing someone toasted the o.g. drive and used an alpha one with a shorter input/splined shaft?

wade7575

Cadet
That would be an MC-1 style gimbal housing with a flat, cork gasket used to seal the housing to the hull

The round seal you mentioned finding is for a newer vintage R/MR/Alpha one style housing and will not work

If you can't find a replacement for the flat gasket in oem or aftermarket you can always make a gasket, or roll the dice and seal the housing with silicone/etc...

Guessing someone toasted the o.g. drive and used an alpha one with a shorter input/splined shaft?
No racoons happened they tore every single wire apart and the transom is rotted,the boat sat for 20 years beside a bush because the previous owner parked it at a friends place and just left it there and my friend got the boat for $500.00

flashback

Captain
That's a lot of additional information, you need alot more than a gasket...

wade7575

Cadet
That's a lot of additional information, you need alot more than a gasket...
It's just the gasket and a few other parts I think I will need help with finding out what version they are and where to find them,I have already found bellows and all the other stuff like that in kits and know it's for the stern drive my friend has.

wade7575

Cadet
I was wondering if anyone can give me a part number or tell me where to get the hydraulic hose's that go from the block found on the bottom side of the stern to the cylinders,we have the same cylinders that's shown in the video where the lines go into the cylinder at the one end closest to the transom.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to use the Alpha One Gen 2 cylinders on the Gen,I'm just wondering if there is a conversion kit,I have heard a lot of people say the newer cylinders are much better.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
racoons happened they tore every single wire apart and the transom is rotted,the boat sat for 20 years beside a bush because the previous owner parked it at a friends place and just left it there and my friend got the boat for $500.00

Your friend is out $500 plus whatever the dump disposal fee is. Unless the trailer is worth anything there is no need to spend any more money/time on the boat