need help with a bilge pump

pilotmanmk11

Cadet
I know this may seem like a stupid question but I was taught the only stupid thing is not to ask a stupid question. So I would like to know what exactly a bilge pump is and how they work. Also how to install on in a boat and if one is really needed under a boat deck. Couldn't you just fill the intire void with foam and call it a day or is one needed in a boat.

Thanks for listing to this stupid question.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: need help with a bilge pump

A bilge pump pumps water from the bilge to outside the boat. They work off a marine battery, and are operated by either a manual switch or an automatic float switch.

If one is needed is all a matter of opinion. I don't think one is needed in a row boat, but at least one is needed in a 24 ft cabin cruiser, preferably two. Where you draw the line depends on the size, use and capabilities of the boat.

Yes, you can foam the boat, and that will keep it from sinking, but not from filling up with water. The pump can keep swamping from becoming a danger, but don't count on one from keeping your boat from sinking if it gets anthything larger than a 1" diameter hole.

Bilge pumps are primarily to keep rain, splash and the occasional rogue wave from building up. They are not intended to keep the boat from sinking in an emergency hull breach situation.

Most pump manufacturers list the recomended size pump for typical vessel sizes. Browse the manufacturer websites and read about their pumps. you will learn a lot.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

So I would like to know what exactly a bilge pump is and how they work. Also how to install on in a boat and if one is really needed under a boat deck. Couldn't you just fill the intire void with foam and call it a day or is one needed in a boat.

Thanks for listing to this stupid question.
That was not a stupid question, everyone was a newbie at some point and time, even if that was 60yrs ago.

Your question along with Mark's answer will help more people than you think. :cool:

pilotmanmk11

Cadet

OK so if i was to install a bilge pump in a boat would i just mount it on the hull under the deck in the lowest part and run the hose outside above the waterline, assuming there is nothing between the deck and the hull? What about if the hull has flotation foam in under the deck where does the water go. What is this i am reading about a bilge compartment?

jonesg

Admiral

maybe start by describing what type of boat you have, could be a jon boat for all we know. In which case a bucket would work.;)

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Just a couple observations:

If you do install one, try to use as FEW 90 degree turns in yours. This greatly reduces the capacity of outflow from the pump. The longer the hose and more turns it takes, the less it can pump out. Use stainless steel hose clamps on ALL connections! You don't want a hose popping off when you need it! Also, get some hose that is reinforced so it can't collapse over time. Some of that clear plastic hose over time can collapse flat, thus rendering the pump useless.

This is just a personal preference of mine... I have an on-off switch. The automatic stays "hot" all the time. No way to turn that off. If I have a switch turned off and don't realize it but need the pump to operate automatically, I want it to do so! I use my manual on-off switch to "check" on my bilge every now and then to make sure no water is in there and to make sure that the pump is still operating.

I also check the float switch prior to every outing on the boat. My float switch is not integrated to my pump.

I consider the bilge pump the single most important piece of equipment on my boat (I have two - one set back close to the drain plug and one more forward and higher just in case).

Rarely will you have a 1" hole in your boat. If something fails, it usually cracks (like a thru-hull fitting or a hose), so water isn't flooding in at an unmanageable rate. If a hose or thru-hull fitting fails completely, I keep wood plugs on board to stop those.

Keep in mind that I fish off-shore so help or the shore isn't usually close. My boat is only 20' long, but when I'm out there, I can't be too safe!

I'm not knocking anyone else's installation - ANY bilge pump is better than none! That's for SURE!!! They are very inexpensive and quite simple to install, so there's really no real reason to skip it!

pilotmanmk11

Cadet

Thank you all it is startign to make more sense. The reason I have not spcified a boat is because I am unsure exactly what is it. It was given to me by my cousin and I didn't have time to clean it up and inspect it. I was in a hurry to get home before it stormed. I am planning on goingback up over the 4th of july and start working on it there. they have no internet access so i am trying to prepare for anything i will encounter. I will have pics up when i drag it 4 hours back home and have internet again. thanks again all