Need help with 1996 4.3GL Volvo Penta

arriva2450

Cadet
Really would appreciate some advice on my 4.3GL carbed engine. It has been giving me an issue all summer, where it fires up great, idles great and runs great on WOT for only the first 5 minutes - at that time is starts to bog and sputter and sounds like it wants to stall unless I let off the throttle at which time it backfires once or twice and then goes back to WOT for another few minutes until it does it again, and again, etc.

I replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump relay which made no difference. I checked compression and all perfect. While plugs out (which are NGK bpr6efs, gapped at .045) I did see they showed signs of lean so I richened the carb (which is a Holley 3250R 2 barrel) - this made no difference.

So not knowing how old the plugs were (I bought the boat 2 years ago), I replaced the plugs with AC Delco MR43LTS - fired up and idled good so I took for a spin but immediately it wouldn't even go to WOT - when giving throttle it would just backfire (only idled good) and then stalled. Tried to start it up again and nothing - towed it back to my dock and put in the original plugs again thinking the boat just didn't like the new plugs. Unfortunately the old plugs now made no difference - it is cranking but not even a pop - nothing. I re-checked compression and all good. I used a spark tester on each cable and all have spark. I am now lost as to why it isn't starting????

Would really appreciate some advice on the no start, and then some advice of the original problem I was having, as I still need to figure that out once I get this thing running again.

Oh, I also did check timing, but doubt that is the reason for the no start (might be related to the original problem though). I read that this motor wants 1 degree BTDC initial, and confirmed that was set right.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like its a fuel issue. The pump runs but its not supplying fuel to the carb.

Remove the fuel filter and dump the contents into a clear container. Want to make sure there is nothing but clear and clean gas with no water. When filter is removed see if its completely full. If its not full then there is a restriction between tank and filter.

Tank restrictions, could be inside the pick up tube, the antisiphon valve or collapsed fuel line