need help with 1963 westbend 35hp

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok this outboard will start but puts out a ton of smoke and spits and backfires out the exhaust.also sometimes when i rev engine up and bring throttle back to idle engine kinda keeps reving like its missing bad? kinda hard to explain .this is what i have tryed cleaned carb. drained fuel out of tank and replace with new fuel.took fuel pump apart looks good .pulled flywheel cleaned points set gap at .020 . compression is at 95 psi both cylinders i guess thats good for old iron head? set low screw at 1 turn and messed with it a bunch didnt help and my hi screw is a fixed screw. im stumped ready to give up please help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help with 1963 westbend 35hp

The smoke is a symptom of the problem , not the problem itself. The poorly running engine is dumping unburned gas and oil into the exhaust, where it is creating smoke. It will continue to smoke till you get it running right---on a boat on the lake---and run it awhile at high speed to clear it out.

How about that revving. DON'T DO THAT. That is called runaway, and can actually run so wild you can't stop it. It is caused by revving it up in neutral or with no load. Don't do that.

Other than that, I don't know what is wrong causing the backfiring, etc. Can't tell from here.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also i think my carb is not sync with stator how do i fix that?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Don't know, can't see it from here. But a generic answer is that there usually is a cam on the armature plate that pushes the carburetor butterfly shaft open. There ususally is a mark on that cam and the carb should just start to move when the cam follower or roller or whatever, aligns with that mark. Sure would help if you had the service manual. I don't have it either. See if there is one for sale here at iboats. Think Chrysler.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yup thats what it was not sync works great now.still not sure if its set properly but it works good in barrel never tryed it on the lake yet thanks