Need Help-- Trailer broke in half!

jonboatbassin

Seaman
I went to hook up my boat this weekend and while I was lowering it onto the ball the trailer buckled about 5ft from the end of the tounge, right were the from winch post is mounted to the frame. <br />Im not too worried about fixing it at the moment but I need some ideas of how to unload the boat now? <br />Ive tried getting behind the boat w/ my truck with the trailer wheels blocked and couldnt pull the boat off!! It was kinda muddy so i ended up spinning all 4 till I was almost stuck in my yard.<br />The front end is now full of water under the deck since it is angled down in the front and ofcourse no drain plug to pull. It is way to heavy to pick the front end up without a jack but I cannot get a jack under the trailer far enough forward to raise the fron end. I got a jack as far under it as I could and it was just raising the back end due to so much weight in the front.<br /><br />I really need some help here guys. How can I get the boat off the trailer?

boater4life

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need Help-- Trailer broke in half!

First I would pump the water out. You don't mention the size or weight of the boat but once the water has been removed you could get a fork lift to raise the bow and then the stern high enought to block it. Pull out the remains of the trailer.

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't have a pump you could always let gravity do the work. Rig a siphon hose and drain the water, once you get the water out depending on size/weight of boat it should not be to hard to get it off the trailer while making repairs.<br />Like Boater said post the size/weight of the boat, some one will have a plan.<br />Ray

jonboatbassin

Seaman

the boat is a 16ft Polarkraft jon boat with a wood front deck, console and 35hp evinrude. dont know the actual weight of the boat.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe you could use a cable come-along and lift the tongue up by anchoring to and old pick up or tractor. If you are lucky the boat is parked under a tree you could use that for the other end of your come-along. Probably the easiest as before mentioned is to bail or siphon out most of the water first.<br /><br />DougV>

rwidman

Lieutenant

First, you're really lucky it broke in your yard, not on the road! :eek: <br /><br />You need to get the water out, it will eventually damage the boat with the weight and dampness. This could be part of the reason the trailer broke.<br /><br />Some suggestions (get the water out first):<br /><br />Put wood or steel inside the broken tongue to extend it to where you can jack it up.<br /><br />Make (or rent) an "A" frame large enough to where you can use a winch or come-along hooked to the bow eye of the boat to raise it.<br /><br />You might find it easier to work with if you remove the engine first. Also, figure out what you're going to do with it once you get it off the trailer. If you have a replacement trailer you might find a tow truck operator with a sling who could pick it up and place it on the new trailer.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the come along does not work, how about renting an engine lift and using it to lift the tongue high enough to get a jack under it?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I moved my boat to new trailer by removing the winch post from old trailer and let tounge down to ground, backed up new trailer over tounge of old as far as it would go. Then hooked the bow strap from new trailer to boat and winched it off of old onto new. Like this:<br /><br />
june120400010.jpg
<br /><br />Note can of WD-40 to help lube the bunks. It doesn't hurt to push from the back while someone cranks the winch. 2x4 came in handy for lifting bow up onto new keel roller to get started.<br /><br />From your description of how the trailer broke you are half way there. Siphon off the water and bring in the new trailer!<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Mark.

Triton II

Commander

Clever man Mark. The photo's worth a 1000 words. :)

jonboatbassin

Seaman

thanks for the ideas guys.<br /><br />after getting the water out i think Im gonna try what mark mentioned. instead of onto another trailer im just going to get it on the ground. From there I only have to move it about 10ft to the side and the use a comealong to pull it up into the garage. I was hoping to strip and re-do the whole boat as a winter project anyways.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I can't take credit that that idea. Numerous folks here suggested that method or variations of it when I first asked how to move the boat from one trailer to the next.<br /><br />Accolades go to the forum members!<br /><br />Mark

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by jonboatbassin:<br /> thanks for the ideas guys.<br /><br />after getting the water out i think Im gonna try what mark mentioned. instead of onto another trailer im just going to get it on the ground. From there I only have to move it about 10ft to the side and the use a comealong to pull it up into the garage. I was hoping to strip and re-do the whole boat as a winter project anyways.
I don't think it will move that easily sideways. :rolleyes: <br /><br />See if you can move it while it's still got wheels until it's in a position where you can pull it foreward to where you want it. :)

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you're gonna redo the boat, then why not use leverage - put a hunk of timber on the boat floor near the stern, and load up with a few blocks.<br /><br />That'll help to lower ths stern (it'll pivot over the axle), the water will run to the rear which will then drain and remove the weight from the bows, and you can jack, lever or whatever you need to do at your leisure.