FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Hi folks,
I'm looking for fish finder ( up to $250)
Fishing on river 2-60' and small lakes.
There is so many to choose from that my head spins.
Please help me to find the right one
In that price range, I don't think you will find any significant performance difference, especially for the depths you are planning. I think it would come down to the screen. You will need to choose between small color or larger grayscale. Color will be easier for someone new to sonar. I would prefer having more data on the larger grayscale screen. Nothing like a trip to the sporting goods store to get a feel of what your screen preferences are.
You will happier with the large screen gray scale displays , IMO .
FWIW , I have a Hummingbird 535 that I'm quite happy with .
The screen is easily viewable in direct sunlight , and , in lowlight conditions .
It shows great bottom detail , and , easily shows the location of the thermocline .
My only regret is not having the scratch for that side-imaging unit , lol .
Looks like an excellent choice for the money. Enjoy!
I have never mounted a sonor to shoot thru hull. My fishing boats are aluminum. I'd try to see how well you can get it to work before perminently glueing to floor. The multi-beam sonor may be more problomatic for thru hull.
Well, they must of improved the sonars allot side my old 400TX. You couldn't shoot thru aluminum, only fiberglass hulls. Keep us posted on how well it works.
Mount it on the transom , as you will lose some sensitivity shooting through the hull .
I mounted mine on a piece of 1/4" thick plastic I recovered from an office chair armrest .
I bolted the plastic to the hull,and mounted the transducer bracket to the plastic .
Now I don't have to drill more holes through the transom if I change transducers .
Someone had a thread about this on this board , just to lazy to search at the moment .