Need Help Sizing Trolling Motor

99Cane228

Cadet
I am finally looking into purchasing a trolling motor to go on my (99) FD228. Any information and help regarding thrust #, voltage, shaft length, and mounting suggestions (even pictures) for like applications would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Need Help Sizing Trolling Motor

I had a motorguide 55 lb thrust 12v, with a 54" shaft... It worked okay.... If I did it over, I would want at least a 24v system with 70 lbs of thrust minimum... This was on my old 2007 FDGS 202 OB

99Cane228

Cadet

Thanks for the reply! Will definitely look into the 24V systems. From what I have seen, they stop around 80#'s in that voltage, which should work. How did the 54 work out as far as depth? I have located one that is a 52", but I am concerned it will be to short.

Thanks again for the info and reply.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Motor Guide wireless w/60" shaft 75lb on my 2008 FD202GS, it's wired to a 24V system w/ on board charger. Works great and plenty of power. Only problem I have is some times I forget to take the batteries out of the foot pedal at the end of the season. But they need replacing anyway. Mine was part of the dealer package but, IMO the 60" shaft and the power that comes with a 24V trolling motor is probably worth the expense difference over the 12V, especially if you plan to use it a lot.

ShadowB

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am finally looking into purchasing a trolling motor to go on my (99) FD228. Any information and help regarding thrust #, voltage, shaft length, and mounting suggestions (even pictures) for like applications would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

I saw this post and felt compelled to join the forum to comment.
The previous responders to your post give very good advice, I'll share my experience:

I went through this process and did a lot of research on trolling motors (on LOTS of other devices too!) last summer with the SD237 I/O I purchased. I've owned both Minnkota and Motorguide trolling motors and they've both served my previous boats well. Both manufacturers offer very good "Choose a Motor" wizards on their websites to help you make better sense of the models offered. The links to both are below:

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/selectamotor/

http://www.motorguide.com/motor-selector

The cutoff point from going from a 12 volt to 24 volt model is when you go over 21 feet in length. If your boat is close to this point, I would strongly suggest biting the bullet for the 24 volt. You will thank yourself later, even with the added expense of the product and additional battery. You'll get better performance and longer battery life at minimum. Speaking of batteries, I converted from Deep Cycle lead acid to AGM style and will never go back, it great technology for the marine environment. I decided to purchase the Minnkota Terrova 80/US2/i-Pilot with the 60" shaft with quick release bow-mount; Minnkota seems to have the higher level of technology right now which I personally appreciated. With relation to shaft length, you can always adjust to shorten the length, but you're stuck if you need it longer. You want that shaft to extend at least a foot into the water (18"+ is even better), especially if you have some wave activity. If you want/need more than 80 lb of thrust, you have to go with 36 volt models. Both manufactures have models optimized for fresh or salt water operation.

Hope this helps and good luck

99Cane228

Cadet

Thank you everyone for the replies, way more than helpful. On something like this it would be easy for a "newbie" like me to pick the wrong combo even with some of the research I could do on my own, you can't beat the experience and knowledge you find on this forum!

SSrider

Cadet

Good stuff guys, im buying a 2004 217 sundeck in couple weeks and have been wondering what to do on the trolling motor. I've decided to get the minn kota Riptide ST 80lbs 24 volt 60" shaft. I'll add the i-pilot later if santa is nice to me this year. haha What my question is, and i dont have the boat yet to look for myself, where does a guy put the 3 batteries or at least the 3rd one needed for the 24 volt system??

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All three on my FD202GS go in the battery compartment. The the Battery bay on the FWD wall I have my Dual Switch. Then from FWD to Aft: my starting battery, then the two trolling batteries (in series) and finally my on-board charger. You do have to take the middle battery out to get the Fwd starting and Aft trolling batteries out but that's once a year and it's very easy (at least on mine). I like the AGM suggestion made by cjjjDeck. A 80lb Minn should almost get you up on plane. lol. (Like to see how fast one would push a 12' John).

ShadowB

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good stuff guys, im buying a 2004 217 sundeck in couple weeks and have been wondering what to do on the trolling motor. I've decided to get the minn kota Riptide ST 80lbs 24 volt 60" shaft. I'll add the i-pilot later if santa is nice to me this year. haha What my question is, and i dont have the boat yet to look for myself, where does a guy put the 3 batteries or at least the 3rd one needed for the 24 volt system??

I've got a 217 SD and have been considering a trolling motor. I'd like to hear how the Riptide works out for you. There should be room in the battery compartment for 3 batteries. I know my boat has a tray for 2 batteries, and there is still plenty of space around it.

For the guys that already have a motor, I'm wondering how difficult is it to remove the trolling motor, and what is left on the deck as far as the mount? Is it going to be a trip hazard, etc.. I've got kids that use the bow as a swim platform, so just wondering.

Thanks!

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a 217 SD and have been considering a trolling motor. I'd like to hear how the Riptide works out for you. There should be room in the battery compartment for 3 batteries. I know my boat has a tray for 2 batteries, and there is still plenty of space around it.

For the guys that already have a motor, I'm wondering how difficult is it to remove the trolling motor, and what is left on the deck as far as the mount? Is it going to be a trip hazard, etc.. I've got kids that use the bow as a swim platform, so just wondering.

Thanks!

Hi Ernest T

I went with the MKA-32 bracket with cover. It covers the base of the bracket so the sharp/rough edges are not exposed. It sticks up about an inch, maybe less. The motor comes right off, the fit is tight with no rattles. Here's the link from Minnkota's site:

http://store.minnkotamotors.com/products/392897/MKA-32_Quick_Release_Bracket_with_Cover

I found a picture that includes the bow of my boat with a shot of my mount (totally unintentional), we were going for a scenic shot, but lucked out for you to be able to see it in action....kind of. Part of it extends beyond the top of the front deck due to trying to position it closest to the bow point and not interfere with the operation of the anchor locker door. It was the best we could do with it, but I'm really satisfied with this bracket design.

First time loading a picture in a forum, hope it's detailed enough so you can see the bracket.
Hope this helps!

Minnkota Base 1b.jpg

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

View attachment 142747
QUOTE]

By the way, I'm using a Minn Kota 12V PowerDrive V2. Its 55lb thrust with 54" shaft. Works great moving my SS188 around quite nicely.

I have the trolling motor battery in the back compartment with cables running up to the anchor storage at the front. Here I installed a quick connect for quick connect/disconnect of the electrical to remove the trolling motor when not in use.

TIP: If you plan to run this configuration, you'll need a heavy gauge wire for the 20-25ft length which is quite expensive. What I did was purchase heavy guage booster cables from Walmart. Cut off the ends leaving me 20 ft of heavy guage wire, and nicely color coded and attached together making it easy to run and connect. Will cost you 1/2 the price of buying the wire alone.

...Nelson

SSrider

Cadet

Thanks!
I'll let you know Ernest T Thanks

SSrider

Cadet

Thanks!
I'll let you know Ernest T Thanks

SSrider

Cadet

View attachment 142747
QUOTE]

By the way, I'm using a Minn Kota 12V PowerDrive V2. Its 55lb thrust with 54" shaft. Works great moving my SS188 around quite nicely.

I have the trolling motor battery in the back compartment with cables running up to the anchor storage at the front. Here I installed a quick connect for quick connect/disconnect of the electrical to remove the trolling motor when not in use.

TIP: If you plan to run this configuration, you'll need a heavy gauge wire for the 20-25ft length which is quite expensive. What I did was purchase heavy guage booster cables from Walmart. Cut off the ends leaving me 20 ft of heavy guage wire, and nicely color coded and attached together making it easy to run and connect. Will cost you 1/2 the price of buying the wire alone.

...Nelson
Great idea on the booster cables! Is their a reason why you mounted your trolling motor on the middle and not off to the left side? And does it get in the way of your anchor or anchor rope?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys, thanks for the links and photos. The mounting plate is much smaller than I was thinking, so I don't think it will be as much of an obstacle I as first thought. How far off the center-line at the bow of the boat can you mount the trolling motor?

My boat already has the wired outlet for the trolling motor (I think that was included in the fishing package), so hopefully I don't need to run any wiring. Did you guys do your own battery/switch setups? How hard is that to do on your own?

Thanks!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Ernest, my motor is probably half way between the center line and the side (tried to keep it over to the side) Had no problems. With the size of your boat, you'll most likely need more lbs of thrust.

Other than the quick connect/disconnect, its simply a straight connect to a secondary battery with a 60A fuse or circuit breaker in place near the battery. Simply installed a second tray, added the second battery. If you have the fishing package, I believe its prewired, tied into your switch panel with a breaker there? You may only need to add the quick connect at the end up front and the battery at the back. This will also depend on whether you use a 12/24/36V setup.

This year I'm adding one more modification. http://store.minnkotamotors.com/products/419589/MK_2_DC_(2_bank)

This is inline, and will charge the primary battery (starting battery) and when full, switch to charging the secondary (trolling) While it would take many hours to charge the trolling motor, with the hours of use while tubing, cruising, etc I figured it would be an inexpensive and worthwhile investment.

Great info. I have a 217 SD on order but have purchased a Minn Kota Terrova 80lb with 60in shaft. Not having my new boat delivered yet my question is how is the access at the front swim platform in order to attach the motor mount? Also are there any issues or obstacles running the wiring to the back of the boat?

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Great idea on the booster cables! Is their a reason why you mounted your trolling motor on the middle and not off to the left side? And does it get in the way of your anchor or anchor rope?

I put it off to the side so that when I remove it, the mounting plate is away from feet. We use the front when lake swimming so I added it to the opposite side from the ladder, and tried to keep it between center line and port side.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Pirate, I simply used a fish line, fed it from the back (battery compartment) through to the front (via port side) to the anchor access, taped up my cables and pulled it through. It is straight forward however it will (because of the weight of the cables) tend to fall down from the side towards the bottom of the hull and snag. You simply have to wiggle it front/back and eventually it comes through.

I don't know the 217SD so I'm not sure if its similar in those compartment areas. You want to avoid starboard side as that is where the shifter cables and wiring to the switch panels, etc live and will certainly add more complexity to the cable run.