Need help removing broken brass fitting?

drrm123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to remove a brass fitting that broke in engine block for oil pressures sending unit. Any suggestions or tips? used a screw extractor but still frozen tight would not budge. if it matters it a 1981 omc v-6

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Need help removing broken brass fitting?

If the orifice is vertical, I would choose an appropriate sized drill bit and have someone hold a vacumm cleaner right next to the hole as you slowly drill it out. Then I would go after it with an NPT tap while still holding the vacumm to it.

A reduced size vacumm tip would be best.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would use a left hand drill bit, but other wise agree with the previous post. Might also try a propane torch on the cast iron...get it to expand and loosen things up a bit. Good Luck:D

drrm123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it is vertical, i thought about heating with a torch but didnt want to start a fire because of oil. also considered drilling but was going to put grease on drill to try to catch most of shavings, i'll also use vacuum trick and just try drilling. i'll trying starting up with oil pressure out to hopefully push out any other shaving. thanks for the help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Could try a plumbers trick using some white bread in the hole, make the repair and using a oil pump priming tool to blow the bread out and any shavings

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Or what I'd do is just drill through it, pound in an easy-out,+ Pull it,...
Then Crank the motor over for a few seconds,....
The oil will push out any debris,.... That's a Pressure port, Not a Vacuum port....:rolleyes:

drrm123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'll try when i get home today and let everyone know what worked, thanks again.

drrm123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks got it out. drill it as thin as possible, then use tap to clean treads and it locked onto brass and backed it out but a piece of bread in hole before i started and started engine and let it run pushed about 1/4 quart of oil out then shut off, hopefully nothing left in, i think i'll change oil and let it run about 5 minutes and then change again.

chiefalen

Captain

Welcome aboard.

Glad you posted the result.