Need help please...

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
I used the manual diagram and the key switch that was at the marine engine.com diagram part #

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry I am kinda new to the forum so I get mixed up getting back to my previous discussions. I was told it was a starter prob by a boat guy that looked at it. He isolated everything other than the selonoid. He used a push button starter on the selonoid and still had to hold the button down for the motor to run, while he did that he removed the ground wire and the engine shut down. He told me that he thought it was the starter something in there not right and to have it checked out. I am using the push button control box. The key switch has five posts for wires but I am only utilizing three, one for battery, one for starter or selonoid, and one for accessory. One is white, two are red and one is green. White goes to selonoid red is battery and the other red is accessory.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
I also do understand that the starter should not be engaged while the motor is running and that is what I am seeking help for. I do have 12 volts at the purple wire coming out of the power pack. This motor runs great when it is right but I do understand it is older but I don?t want to junk it just yet I think there is a lot of enjoyment to be had with it. If I can get this kink worked out it should be fine, it seems a little simpler than some others.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
Just to clarify the switch is all the way in cranking position in order for it to continue running, which means the starter is turning while the motor is running... not good.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
well now we can say the selenoid and starter are ok and that is not what keep the motor running (turning yes but not running)

​you need a wiring diagram to know which wire keeps the ignition cct going and why that cct is powered by the start position of your key

did you say you changed the key ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You are barking up the wrong tree, thinking starter or solenoid. You have bad key switch. That is, assuming everything is wired correctly and correct parts.

Refer to the diagram I posted. When you turn the key on, the BAT terminal is connected to the IGN terminal, which sends juice to the ignition system so it can run. When you turn the key to the start position, the BAT terminal is connected to both the IGN and ST terminals, so the ignition is still on and the starter will run. Let the key off to the run position and now only the IGN is connected to the BAT again so it keeps running without the starter.

Trouble is, the switch is not connecting the BAT and IGN when in the on position---only when it is turned to the start position.

EDIT: On second reading, I see that you replaced the ignition switch. OK, you wired it wrong or have the wrong switch, or----?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If your switch has two more terminals marked "M" or "M" and "G", that's ok, Just don't connect anything to them.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I bought a switch from the parts place online that has my model number, it has 5 post on it but I am only using three of them. The one marked m is not in use. The Battery or b is red, the switch or selonoid is white, and the accessory is for my gauges, those are the post on the switch that are hooked up, it will not crank at all if those are not in the right place.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you looked at the vacuum switch on the motor ??------Wiring mistakes can lead to big $$$ damage.-----I suggest you find an old time shop to help sort out the wiring !!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yes I bought a switch from the parts place online that has my model number, it has 5 post on it but I am only using three of them. The one marked m is not in use. The Battery or b is red, the switch or selonoid is white, and the accessory is for my gauges, those are the post on the switch that are hooked up, it will not crank at all if those are not in the right place.

Look at the dad-blamed diagram I posted. See that red wire running from the key switch ("ACC or IGN)) to the pulse pack? The only explanation I can come up with is that you somehow have that wire connected to the ST terminal (or possibly to the solenoid). That would provide ignition and starter at the same time but NOT anything to the ignition when you release it to "run". Don't ask me how you did it, just look at it yourself. If electric diagrams are not your talent, get some help from somebody that understands that stuff.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
After a few minutes of thought, you have the pulse pack connected to the solenoid or starter, don't you? Admittedly, that might have been done as a field modification to supply higher voltage to the pulse pack during starting. If so, tell us what you have----in detail. The mess must be straightened out if you expect it to run.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Believe it or not.-------The folks trying to help are familiar with your motor as it left the factory.-----They have many, many years of experience too.----But your motor is now 50 years old and there is no way of telling what modifications have been made in the wiring.-----And as stated folks can be stubborn when looking at simple 12 volt wiring and what the purpose of each wire is.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
Hi mr. reeves I am not a retired person so I post a question and it takes awhile for me to get back to the forum I am not working full time on my boat unfortunately. I have other obligations and I am married. Not trying to frustrate anybody just doing what I can when I can. So if you can bee patient with me that would be appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have a copy of your motor in my cluttered shed.-----But we have no idea what your motor looks like at this time.----Post some pictures as that may be of help to YOU in a way.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
So today I took and hooked a wire from the pos side of the batt strait to the selonoid and it did the same thing, as long as I had the wire on the selonoid it would run with key switch on. When the wire was removed from the selonoid the motor would die. I am not sure what this determines though. The pulse pack wires I don't believe are the problem because this motor ran like a champ before this issue started and they have not been messed with. I do know that the purple wire is not connected to the starter or the selonoid, if I remember correctly it is going to either the voltage regulator or the little round thing next to it. It also seems to want to kick in the other direction as it tries to start sometimes.

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
I do not know how to post pics to the forum, but I do know that the model number is 100882b and the parts available. It is a 1968 evinrude 100 hp starflight. There are some pic of this type of motor online if googled. Can ya tell me how to post pics? I will get them up as soon as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have made no reply to the enquiry on the vacuum switch !----I know what a 1968 model 100 hp looks like.-----Can overhaul powerhead and lower unit with occasional glance at a manual too !