Need help on what type of boat to buy

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help on what type of boat to buy

A 70 would be adequate on a 17' boat.

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I run a 21 ft bowrider and have had eight adults out for the day and there was tons of room. mine was new out of the box so I have no idea what $5K will get you and all composite materials so rotten stringers, etc will never be an issue but like all of them, the foam will get sogged if you don't take care of it.

I love the bowrider... but my next boat will be a cuddy or cruiser of sorts cuz it will be a hell of alot bigger, at least a 30 footer. wife don't know it either but I am keeping the Ebbtide also - way too much fun:eek:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I run a 21 ft bowrider and have had eight adults out for the day and there was tons of room. mine was new out of the box so I have no idea what $5K will get you and all composite materials so rotten stringers, etc will never be an issue but like all of them, the foam will get sogged if you don't take care of it.

I love the bowrider... but my next boat will be a cuddy or cruiser of sorts cuz it will be a hell of alot bigger, at least a 30 footer. wife don't know it either but I am keeping the Ebbtide also - way too much fun:eek:

What the heck do you need a cuddy for? You never leave the Caribbean!:p:facepalm:

southkogs

Staff member

With the river chop, I'd lean with EZ and suggest a 17' with an OB in the 70hp range. I think a V hull would be best, but a "cathedral" hull (try-hull with a deeper center hull) would be alright in most cases and may run a little shallower for some portions of the river if needed. Bow rider would be fine, but don't rule out some of the family/fishing types that Lund / Starcraft and a couple of others have done.

hostage

Lieutenant

This is a great forum! Lots of feedback and info!!! The river isn't that rough its more choppy, on windy days it can be a little more. Bumpy but no swells bigger than 3 feet. There is a spot where we need to go up or down a water fall, but we only go when the water is high not to hit the rocks and all.
We won't be hauling the boat anywhere except to put in the water and out, so no issues there. I'm definentely leaning towards a 17'. To 19' bwrider with an outboard. IKve found one on the internet its a17 vanguard bowrIder but the motor is a 70 HP is that too small?

Up or down a water fall? I don't know if boating in that location is a good idea. Is there a lake near there?

Are there other boaters, there? What boats do they use?

shelsea

Cadet

Up or down a water fall? I don't know if boating in that location is a good idea. Is there a lake near there?

LOL is a small water fall, maybe should of said rapids.... :rolleyes::D

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I was thinking the same thing... Look around, buy the boat that seems to be the most common. Your typical prop powered boat doesn't do well if there are submerged rocks. That is a really easy way to sink in a hurry! Typically the only boat going up waterfalls or rapids of any sort is a welded jetboat.

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What the heck do you need a cuddy for? You never leave the Caribbean!:p:facepalm:

Haha... the rays down there are blinding, need some relief from the heat!:facepalm: