Need help on my mid 80's Johnson 65 hp motor!!!

oregon00

Seaman Apprentice
hey,

Last week I bought a boat with a mid 80's johnson 65 hp outboard on it. It started right up in about a second. i lost the key that same day and just got a new one today (one week later). I went to crank it and all it did was turn over and it never cranked. It must be a simple thing I am doing wrong...any suggestions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help on my mid 80's Johnson 65 hp motor!!!

has to have fully charged battery, has to turn +-300 rpms for it to start. go to engine faq, and outboard won't start thread.

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure that the bubble is primed, a good charged batt, and choke it a bit

oregon00

Seaman Apprentice

so the battery will make the motor turn over if it isn't fully charged but in order for it to start it must be charged all the way correct?

mdcwells

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure you hear the primer solenoid (choke) click when you push the key in. I have a mid 80's 48 and 50 hp, and it is sensitive to that primer. If the gasket on the bottom of the solenoid is not good they are terrible to try to crank.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad