Need Help locating a part

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an older trailer. The trailer has what looks like a bottle jack that lowers the trailer when pressure is released. When the pressure is released it allows the axles to pivot back thus lowering the trailer. A regular bottle jack will not fit. Does anyone have any idea where I can find that jack? I have no idea who made the trailer as it is old and everything was worn off the ID plate.

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need Help locating a part

JB,<br />Thanks....but they couldn't help me.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

So I guess this apparatus is hydralic, correct?<br />And you still have the old non functioning one?<br />Most anything like this can be rebuilt...they are pretty simple little things. Even if a new piston needed to be machined or whatever it's not out of the question if you really want to save the trailer.<br />Never saw a Rube Goldberg device like that on a boat trailer, but have seen similar mechanisms on trailers for hauling safes, vault doors, machinery, etc.

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would rebuild it if I could get it apart.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

So is it welded? Grind off the welds.<br />Rust frozen? Soak the beegeesus out of it with Kroil and tap every so often. If all else fails use the red tip wrench to heat it...<br />It went together once, so it will come apart if you really want it to.

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bomar,<br />I gave it to a friend that works at a place rebuilding machinery. He said he could get it apart for me and even make a new piston because the existing one is pitted quite bad.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Great!<br />Hope it all works out.<br />Have a picture of that contraption you could post? I'm kinda curious about it....

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I get the jack back I will take some pics of it mounted and post them here in the trailer section.