need help identifying two sailboat hardware items

RxBoat

Cadet
I just got this used sailboat, a 15' 1980's Finn olympic class racing boat. I have almost completed the cleaning of the boat. Please excuse my lack of knowledge here. I am a first time sailboat owner, have a small amount of experience with sailing and have been learning about the nomenclature, parts of a sailboat etc. I can identify most of the rigging but there are two pieces on the floor of the hull just aft of the centerboard housing, near the centerline that are a mystery. If anyone can identify their name and use I would appreciate it.
CIMG0009.JPGCIMG0012.JPG The rectangular item in the photo is made of stainless steel and appears to be in two parts, one fits inside of the outer housing. It is leaking. I'm guessing it has to do with allowing water to drain from the bottom of the boat, but that is just my guess. I took a photo if it from under the boat as well. From that angle the stainless steel piece in the center appears to have been a little bent on the forward edge. (It looks incomplete and I don't have whatever attaches to the hinged part visible in the view from inside the boat.)

The round shaped item in the same photo is in good shape and does not appear to be causing any leaks. I mostly just want to know its name and its function. (I don't have whatever attaches to it.)
Thanks.

Bsquared

Seaman Apprentice
Re: need help identifying two sailboat hardware items

The rectangular piece is a bailer; if you open this when going fast, water is sucked out instead of going in.
The circular piece appears to be a swivel mount for a block; maybe the mainsheet block was attached there. I suggest looking at the online catalog at APSLTD.com; they are a great source for tons of small boat hardware.

Ned L

Commander

Yep, picture on the left is a 'self bailer', and I agree with the swivel mount.

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found this picture doing an image search on the web for "finn sailboat". It shows two self bailers and the mainsheet block in place.Alt_Brazil_new_finn_1.jpg

RxBoat

Cadet

Thanks guys - your posts are great and have been very helpful.