Need help identifying seadoo motor / parts -

Sidewayz-

Recruit
Hello all,

Got this stuff from a storage locker and was wondering if someone could help me identify what I have, and possibly what it's worth. I've looked on the motor, and the only thing I found with a possible id number is on the head and reads "rotax 6923 840". Here's a pic of everything that was in there -

20121203_084608.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need help identifying seadoo motor / parts -

In addition to a lot of junk, what you have is a 2 cyl Rotax 2-stroke engine, jet pump, battery and front hood, cowl, handlebar assembly and box of miscellaneous parts. The body parts are from a circa 1996 SeaDoo GSX, so we may assume that everything else is from the same machine. It was fast in its day, but today compared to what's on the market its a dog. Also, a 2-seater, which is quite outdated.

Boats of that vintage are long gone, so the market for parts is slim. Since its missing the hull possibly it was in an accident and the PO salvaged what was left. If that was the case possibly the engine is toast because it sank.

Pull the plugs and see if you can turn it over by hand. If so, the engine might be restorable. If not, sell it for scrap metal. If It was mine I'd advertise it on CL for $100 and see if there are any calls. If not, reduce the price to $20.

But that's just me....LOL. Who knows, you might just find some kid with the same model needeing parts and willing to spend hundreds.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd be willing to bet you could part that motor out for some decent change. I know a girl looking for the starter off of one of them old scows. Cylinders with rave valves look similar to the ones on sleds of that vintage, I think e-bay might be your friend in this case, just post the pics of parts, and a part #, with no assurance of what it actually fits.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it may not be as much junk as you think. that is a very commonly used 800cc motor that came out of the X4 hull. it was also used in some of the early GTX models. Alot of folks still ride the X4 (think yellow 96 XP) hull as it is much more fun to ride than most of the "couches" sold today. The key will be to figure out the condition of the motor. you can pull the head cover pretty easily to look at the cylinders and see if the crank rotates smoothly. even if just the case is in good condition, there will be a market for it as places like SBT require a "core" when you buy one of their remans.

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

the year gsx is a 2000 is the motor carb or fuel injected it is a 787 motor they came out in 95 and used them up 99 as carb motors not sure what years i think they started 98 on for the rfi motors the parts are worth some money use pwctoday.com or x-h20.com and can sell the parts there

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am pretty sure that engine is a 787 RFI and in good running condition would be worth around $800/1000. as a good rebuildable core probably a third of that. I know a guy that paid $200 for a good jet pump last year. The exhaust pipe is an obsolete part and if you need one the only place you are going to get it is the used market and there is good demand for them still. Body parts will sell but unless your machine has had an accident you will never need them so market for them is not as good, most accidents happen in water, pooches motor but not machine itself.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know this thread is a little bit older but I just saw it. Sidewayz, listen to everybody but JimS123. I have no idea where he came up with the stuff he posted. Perhaps because he owns a later model, 4-stroke Sea Doo he thinks that older 2-stroke parts are worthless and not desired by anyone. He couldn't be more wrong!

It looks like you've got some nice looking parts there and if that engine is in good shape, its worth hundreds! A good exhause pipe without leaking plug welds is also worth some coin.

Jim, just because you've got a big, 3 seat couch, don't assume that everyone wants a boat like that. There are plenty of us pwc enthusiasts who love the nimbleness of a smaller, lighter, much more agile 2-seat pwc!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I know this thread is a little bit older but I just saw it. Sidewayz, listen to everybody but JimS123. I have no idea where he came up with the stuff he posted. Perhaps because he owns a later model, 4-stroke Sea Doo he thinks that older 2-stroke parts are worthless and not desired by anyone. He couldn't be more wrong!

It looks like you've got some nice looking parts there and if that engine is in good shape, its worth hundreds! A good exhause pipe without leaking plug welds is also worth some coin.

Jim, just because you've got a big, 3 seat couch, don't assume that everyone wants a boat like that. There are plenty of us pwc enthusiasts who love the nimbleness of a smaller, lighter, much more agile 2-seat pwc!

My comments were based solely upon my own experience in the area where I live. The marina where I hang out is one of the largest SeaDoo dealers in NY state. The numbers of older 2-strokes that they service are a pittance compared to what they were servicing just 5 years ago. When someone brings in one for major repairs, chances are they will end up buying a new 4-stroke because the repairs usually cost many times more than the boat is worth.

Most GSXs of that vintage are too beat up to bother with anyway. Unless......as I said in my post, you find somebody that is doing the work themself and needs that particular part.....then it might be worth hundreds (so I said just what you said....LOL)

My reference to "junk" was referring to the other non-PWC junk that is in the photo.

Its not a matter of couches or nimble or agile....its just a matter of supply and demand. Right now the demand isn't there. Now, that doesn't mean NO demand, it means low demand.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jim, most of us enthusiasts of older 2-stroke skis know that the only way you can afford to keep one running is to wrench on it yourself. We know that we'd go broke if we took it to a mechanic every time it needed work so it doesn't surprise me at all that you don't see many 2-stokes getting worked on at your local SD dealer. The last time I went to a local dealer was when I bought my WaveRaider brand new in 1994.

Its not a matter of couches or nimble or agile....its just a matter of supply and demand. Right now the demand isn't there. Now, that doesn't mean NO demand, it means low demand.

Supply and demand certainly dictates what you can buy new at a dealershop today, that's for sure. However, you can go to pwctoday.com or greenhulk.net and find plenty of enthusiasts of older, 2-strokes that are plenty interested in the small, agile powerful pwcs of yesterday. Its low demand on an overall scale but plenty enough demand that the OP could easily get good money for his parts. I've bought plenty of used, older 2-stroke parts online and I can assure you that I'm not the only one. A quick check of ebay would indicate that the demand is more than you might think.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

My comments were based solely upon my own experience in the area where I live. The marina where I hang out is one of the largest SeaDoo dealers in NY state. The numbers of older 2-strokes that they service are a pittance compared to what they were servicing just 5 years ago.

We are not talking dealerships here, just the possible value of the parts shown on the used market. It doesn't matter where you live there is a market for this stuff and its in demand, SBT makes a lot of money at it to mention just one.

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

i know i make alot of money off the old stuff like this they all have a good value figger the mpem with a key 2 to 400 easy cylinders 75each or more the motor as a whole good shape 450 or more the pump is a 140 its not worth much but some times you can get 100 to 150 for it the ebox with the coils 50 to 100 the body parts they dont have much value and hard to ship really ebay the stuff start of summer or seadooforums.com pwctoday.com are your best bet greenhulk.net is ok but seems slow the last year also xh2o.com seems pretty good but seems better on the yama and kaw stuff