need help identifying my ignition

59 evinrude

Cadet
I got a 1970 45 hp model 457HA. I just got this motor. I set the points at .020 like it said under the flywheel. Took it to the lake and it had no power. I figure I should put in new points and condensers. So, in trying to determine what parts I need, I find some conflicting information in my Seloc manual about what type of ignition I have. One charts states that it is a Type I ignition. The note at the bottom says to set the points at .020 for magneto and .015 for battery type/magnapower ignitions. In a different part of the manual it says that flywheel magneto ignition has coils mounted on stator plate and battery ignition has coils mounted externally. My engine has the coils mounted externally on the side of the powerhead. So what do I have. If you go by the numbers under the flywheel it is a magneto, if you look at the book it says battery ignition. I am stumped. I bought the manual so I wouldn't be confused.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help identifying my ignition

Black plastic coils mounted on the side of the block (or on the head) are battery ignition.
I never saw a 2 cylinder that needed to be set to .015. as far as i know, .020 is correct.

Before replacing anything, clean and regap the points. If the condensers look good, no cracks or frayed wires, etc, don't replace them. Folk wisdom says that a new condenser is more likely to be bad than an old used one---go figure.
Check that the flywheel key is not broken and check that the cam is correct side up--If cam has an arrow, it goes up. If no arrow, the cam should be set so that the "quick" ramp opens the points.

Be certain that the plugs are clean and gapped correctly.

Be certain that both coils are powered by the blue wire and that both are sparking. Blue wire from ignition always poweres the coils while the key is on. Points allow current to flow while closed (dwell) and build up the magnetic field in the coils. The quick points opening collapses the field rapid ly, generating the high voltage pulse.

59 evinrude

Cadet

I actually did find out that the key was broke. I need to get one of them. I figured that the motor sat for 10 years, I should replace the condensers and points. I was trying to find them at NAPA, because I have a hard time paying $70 at a boat store. That's when I came across the conflicting information in the book. I want to make sure that I set the points right after I put in the new key. Thanks for the info.

Rugid

Cadet

I just re-did my points also. Got them also at NAPA. Part # CS755 Good luck.