Need help identifying battery 1 and battery 2 / charger question

brad614

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am having some battery issues and I am trying to figure out which is #1 and which is #2 relative to the house switch. I thought I could just turn on an accessory, set the switch to 1, and then disconnect each battery to see when the accessory turned off, but that wasn't the case - it stayed on no matter which battery was connected. What am I missing? Also, is it correct that the charger only charges the batteries if the house switch is set to "Both"?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help identifying battery 1 and battery 2 / charger question

Disconnect the positive battery cable from one of the batteries. Then turn on your switch from Batt 1 to batt 2 and see which one has power.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

How the charger works depends on how everything is wired. If the charger is wired directly to the batteries, it doesn't make any difference what the switch is set to. Juice goes directly to the batteries. If the charger (single bank) is connected to the COM terminal on the switch, then whatever the switch is set for determines where the juice goes. It its set to BOTH, both get charged.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Ya. Do you have wired diagram of it. Remember voltage is like water. It will try to find a way back. Whether from the front or the back. If you leave a appliance on it will find its way back through.