Need help! How to remove starcraft dash?

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a way to remove the dash without cutting it in half? I just want to replace the vinyl that was covering it. But it doesn't want to come out, and I have no idea how to remove the speedo and steering wheel base that is attached onto it. I got the ignition switch out, but that's it. Right now I'm stuck with strips of torn vinyl at the ends where a stuck dash sits :/

33ymidl.jpg

The shape of the dash meeting with the hull prevents me from pulling it downwards directly.

i36zcw.jpg

The aluminum brackets riveted to the hull prevent me from pulling it out by pushing in.

oadwrp.jpg

Help??

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need help! How to remove starcraft dash?

Not a pro here, but...
From what I can see your speedo probably has a u-shaped bracket on the backside of the dash, usually under a couple of nuts on the terminals{?} themselves. The steering base should simply remove to reveal the hidden mounting bolts, maybe someone sealed around it? Those hull rivets I had to drill out to remove mine, also along each wooden support were L-brackets with bolts...mine had to be broken off{hope yours are easier to remove} also mine had the top trim attached by mini screws to the dash itself, one more place of attachment was where the gunwale met the dash{there were 4 bolts in that general area{each side}, after all that, it was simply tilting the dash to get out...you can see what I went thru in my SC link below....yep, lots of fun! My dash broke in half 'after' I got it out...figures!

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks.. I did get all the bolts on the bracket, the 2 bolts where each gunwale was, anddd the ones where the wooden supports met the dash. I will look for ones attaching top trim to the dash and I suppose I'll probably end up having to drill out the hull rivets..

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks.. the 2 bolts where each gunwale was,...

Mine actually had 4 per side,two were the green arrow points & two were hidden behind the lip of the gunwale{red arrow} and swollen wood hid the the backsides behind the dash...just an fyi if needed...
undergunwale.jpg

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Look up or go back a few pages on this forum for north beaches 77 sunchief restore late in his thread he removed his by cutting it in two but possibly he can help with a better removal process? At least it's a start.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You gotta get all the screws out that are under the black rubber strip. On my Jupiter, I replaced my dash board with a PVC trim board from Lowes. Easy to work with and will never rot.

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

You gotta get all the screws out that are under the black rubber strip. On my Jupiter, I replaced my dash board with a PVC trim board from Lowes. Easy to work with and will never rot.

Can I put the strip back and have it look original afterwards? :/

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sure. i had mine off a couple times. Just squeeze it or carefully dig it out with a screwdriver and it pops out.

North Beach

Commander

Eric, a couple things that I observed while removing mine. First, the dash board was installed originally by dropping it in before the bow deck was installed. It is cut on an angle to fit the rise of the side of the boat so the only way to get it out is to cut it down the center so you can pull the ends away from the sides. When you install the new one, you'll have to SHORT it a little and rely on the brackets to hold it in place. The shortened area will be covered up by the side panels so no big deal. E was correct about removing both the vinyl insert and the inner rub rail. The IRR is installed with rivits everywhere except at the dash area. That area is fastened with screws. The rubrail can be had new and very cheap from ebay. It's much thinner and for lack of a better term cheaper made than the stuff you get from taco for the outer rub rails since it serves more as an asthetic cover up than an actual rub rail.

Hope that helps. You can read thru my looong restore thread and probably see some pics that may help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I didn't have to cut mine.......