Need help getting out of the hole quicker

Brian Avery

Cadet
Hey guys I'm a rookie here just bought my first boat ever, it's an 1986 Stratos 375V with a Mercury XR2 BlackMax 150 this thing is extremely slow out of the hole and stands nearly straight up before planning out I know it has to do with the prop and it's pitch it has a quick silver 24p 3 Blade max speed so far is the low 50's at 5000 rpm I'm fine with top end I'm not a speed demon on the water just want a faster hole shot any and all help appreciated

floater212

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what size and weight of boat? if not a speed demon drop down at least 1 pitch size... but how many in boat, what are you doing( skiing, tubing or wakeboarding)? where is most of your load, if it's in the back rearrange it so it's more evenly distributed, too much in back and nose is up, too much in front and nose down. did you adjust the trim at all or is it set too high? same thing, if it's trimmed too high, nose up and trimmed down, nose down. a lot more info would help....

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Your about 1000 rpms to low. Drop down to a 21 pitch. Should bring your rpms up to 5600 . Your holeshot will improve and you should be about the same top speed

Brian Avery

Cadet
strictly a fishing boat, yes I've played with the trim and i can pick up speed when i find the sweet spot, most of the time 2 people in boat, 17ft bass boat not sure about the total weight but its a small boat most of the weight is in the back. I was told the boat would run 65 WOT haven't saw that yet the fastest its ran is 55 at 5000 rpm.

Brian Avery

Cadet
I been doing some looking around the BlackMax xr2 150 should run best between 6000 to 7000 rpm please correct me if I am wrong. I dont even get close to 6000 5000 is the max i get will the 21p get me in that range

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Normally dropping 2" in pitch will raise rpms by 400 or so. If you need to gain 2000 rpm to hit 7000 might need a 17 or 19" . Best bet is to find a prop shop that will let you try out a couple before you buy it. If you are really into hole shot vs top end try a 4 blade

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The 1986 XR2 has a Full Throttle range of 5500 - 6000.

KennyL

Recruit
I'm kinda new to the boating scene and I have read several of the posts about props, figured I would just give my info and maybe someone could help me out. I just bought a 2006 procraft 181 combo with the 115 four stroke outboad efi. I've been out in it twice just driving, it had the stock 3 blade prop on it, I had 4 people in the boat all sitting in seats, it like to never Plained out but once it did the rpm and speed was no problem. I then moved 2 people in front of the windshield and it still struggled some but did get on plane faster. We're planning a vacation in about a month and were planning on tubing some, probably about 4-5 people in boat and a couple on the tube. I got the vengeance 3 blade along with the boat and put it on but haven't tried it yet. I was told by a guy to go to a 4 blade prop to jump out of the water faster and get on plane, I do know how to use the tilt to get the best performance. Any ideas out there that would help my boat get up on the water faster without struggling so much??

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Get a 21" . Your at 5000 rpms with your 24 " prop. Drop 3" in pitch your rpms will go up 200 per pitch. So 24" to a 21" should give you 5600 rpms .

ahicks

Captain
The standing straight up issue (which would drive me absolutely crazy) might be helped by the addition of some trim tabs.