Need Help Fast

jackyack18

Cadet
I am currently undergoing a restoration project on a 1970s renken, I was just about to seal the floor and put carpeting down today, but I am in a dilemma. My question is when i was draining out the bilge i noticed another hole and was wondering if it supposed to be there??? Its like the drilled the drain for the bilge strait through. I have a diagram explaining what im trying to ask. But is that extra hole supposed to be there? This makes me wonder now what condition the stringers are in. The boat is 40 years old and the stringers seem to be in good condition when I tap the floor with a large screw driver, the boat seems sturdy but with all that water in the stringers just sitting there im a little worried. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!!

Attachments

• bilge pics.jpg
    bilge pics.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Help Fast

Holes like that should be common because they drain water from other areas of the bilge, but many boats don't have them, or if they do, the wood has not been sealed and is exposed to water. The exposed wood starts to rot and before too long there's not much wood left in the boat, just pulp.

Tapping the floor with a screw driver won't tell you if the stringers are good and most boats that old have rotten wood in them. I can't say for sure if your's has rotten wood, but the odds are not in your favor.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

A quick check on the stringers would be to drill a couple of 'exploratory' holes.
Use something like a 3/8 or 1/4" bit drill into them and see what comes out on the drill bit. You want nice, clean wood - nothing wet ( obviously ) and it should smell like wood. To fill the holes just get some Marine Tex and patch em' up.http://www.marinetex.com/

jackyack18

Cadet

Thanks a lot guys, as you can tell I'm very new to boating and the iboats community, but the forums have endless information and have helped me a great deal already. Thanks again I'll say a couple prayers tonight before start to drill some test holes in the stringers!! Chances are they will have to be replaced though. :(

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well if they do, ... Welcome to the restoration forum, it will be your new hang out! :eek: ;)