Need help 1978 Erude 115 V-4

gator1968

Cadet
Trying to remove end caps on the PTT on the trin tabs. I have a spanner wrench but can't get them to break loose. :confused:Not sure if heat will help. My PTT will tilt up fine , but will trim down at all. I think this is a common problem. I can hear the motor working but just won't come down.:mad: Any suggestions are appreciated.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Need help 1978 Erude 115 V-4

Did you try loosening the manual release valve and cycling the system by hand a few times to remove air pockets?

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 83 Johnny 115, and I noticed on mine that the caps are painted over the threads. Maybe you need to break that paint seal with a knife if yours is like that too?

SM

gator1968

Cadet

jonesg "Did you try loosening the manual release valve and cycling the system by hand a few times to remove air pockets? "

I did find the manual release screw. I moved the engine up and down a few times. I ended with the same results. It will tilt all the way up but will not move down at all.

gator1968

Cadet

Swampmouse "I have a 83 Johnny 115, and I noticed on mine that the caps are painted over the threads. Maybe you need to break that paint seal with a knife if yours is like that too?"

I change the seals out on the trim cylinders last year. Now they won't budge. I'm thinking they have pressure on them and thats why they won't turn.:mad:

gator1968

Cadet

Update. Fixed!!!:D After reading for several hours on this forum and others. This seems to be a common problem. I removed a screw on the lower left, under the trim motor. I didn't have a screw driver large enough, so I used the back of my spanner wrench. There was a valve in there. I hit the trim switch up and fluid came out. Then tried down and fluid came out. This is a good sign. ;) I ended up pumping all the fluid out through this port. The fluid had alot of metal flake particles in it. So maybe it was enough to keep it from working properly.Reassembled the screw valve.Refilled fluid like others on here suggested and what do you know, IT WORKS!!! I would like to tell others, if no one answers your questions, keep reading and just tear into it and figure it out. Then post how you did what you did. It may help others with similar problems. :DWatch out little fishies here I come!!:D