Need GPS Advice-Had a Bit Of A Scare-UPDATE & THANKS

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
So I need advice on a GPS system to know where the heck i am on a lake & how to get to where i need to go :eek: I was on a lake today I've fished before & i thought i knew exackly where i was & where the ramp was---WRONG :confused: Somehow i got turned around & BARELY found the ramp before dark!!
The wife said "You now have my blessing to buy a GPS" :D
So without deep pockets what can I get thats easy to use , don't need to locate hot spots & such fancy things--Just need to find my way around & locate major things like MYSELF & BOAT RAMPS :p

BTW- I live in East Texas & fish Sam Rayburn & have a good Lowrance Sonar so don't much want a "combo" unit :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need GPS Advice-Had a Bit Of A Scare

Check out the options available in Garmins, Boss. The last time I fished big Sam I used a Garmin GPSMAP 14. That was a lot of years ago and there are much better units for a lot less bux available now.

P3_sailor

Cadet

I have a garmin etrex vista that I got a few years ago. I have the ramp marked and it tells me how far away I am and it shows an arrow on a compass pointing the way how. It also has a track feature so you can just follow the trail you took home. You can find them on ebay for like $50.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Virtually any GPS on the planet can do that for you. You don't even need one with a map capability. Mapless units will leave a sugar trail that looks like a dotted line as you travel. Tell the gps to "track back" and it will point you home along the same outbound path but if you zig-zagged around a great deal you can simply head toward where you started from by following the arrow.

I have an old Garmin GPS 12MAP that is a mapping unit but it is highway oriented. It does have rather crude outline maps of major lakes and rivers but it is not intended for river/lake navigation. To test its ability, I left our cabin for the routine 5.5 mile trip down river to the main lake and kept hitting waypoints along the way. On the way back I told my wife to watch my route but I used only the GPS for the entire 5.5 miles without looking up. It took me down the exact same route without a hitch. You just keep the arrow on the sugar trail and you get home.

Jeep Man

Commander

I know what you mean. I'm on connected lakes with over 60,000 acres of water. I have a handheld Garmin GPS Vista Hcx. It's probably overkill, but I like it. This one has a built in compass. What I need and you as well is one with tracking and waypoint capability and an SD slot to insert a map chip for what ever lakes you want. Check craigslist. You can probably get a vista or legend for under $100.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Thanks to all- I found a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx :)

I think it'll do more than i need :cool:

Jeep Man

Commander

Thanks to all- I found a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx :)

I think it'll do more than i need :cool:

Good pick!
Just a note though, keep an extra set of batteries on board. It's no good without power. Been there, done that.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

My question is..."Was he following the breadcrumbs back home, or did he use the GOTO button." GOTO is not the safes way, as it provides a straight line, and doesn't warn you about the rock or tree in the way.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Good pick!
Just a note though, keep an extra set of batteries on board. It's no good without power. Been there, done that.

Good thought, also ordered a 12 volt cigerette lighter adapter thing :cool:

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Just a thanks for all the good advice!
I tryed out my Garmin eTrex Vista Cx today out on Sam Rayburn & was happy with it :D
Kind of primitive by todays $1,000 units but it got me back to the right ramp :cool:
BTW- caught some good cats too :p