1958 Johnson Sea horse 18 Horsepower fuel ?

Erik02c

Cadet
My motor uses a two line pressurized tank but the tank that I have is leaking from the gasket. I don't know if i really want to rebuild the tank. Is there any way of installing the correct fittings on a new plastic gas tank and have it wrk correctly with the dual lines?

Thanks -Eric-

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1958 Johnson Sea horse 18 Horsepower fuel ?

No, do not attempt to use a plastic tank under pressure. It would be a bomb. You can, however install a fuel pump like newer motors have and then the plastic tank is OK.

But the best way to go, according to who you ask, is to rebuild the pressure tank. Parts are available.

Me, I would install a fuel pump and sell the pressure tank on e-bay. They are worth some bucks.

But your choice, really.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hi Erik

You can buy parts kits for the tanks for about 25.00. Here is a link to them and other info. As was mentioned, don't make a homemade bomb out of plastic....

vintageoutboard.com

And a nice blow-up to work by:

GasTank.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

laingsoutboards.com has them and most of the parts for your engine. there are 2 types of tanks, 1 with a metal (silver) pump button, and 1 with a black pump button, it makes a difference in which kit you get. just rebuilt one 6 months ago. keep your motor like it is, don't go goofing with a 50 y/o proven technology.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I am very much in favor of keeping the classics in original condition, and agree that the pressure tank technology is just fine. However, I gotta say that the fuel pump kit was a genuine OMC Accessory and was available through any Evinrude or Johnson dealer back when the motors were new. So, converting one does not make it un-original. In fact, I installed quite a few of the kits back when the motors were new so people could run them on boats with built-in tanks.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

F_R, you installed them when they were new? I wasn't even born back then when ther were using dual hoses... Although most of my outboards have duals on them now!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

btw, Eric02c, I have 2 Johnson '58 10hp's and think they are the best looking year color wise... Others will vary of course... The engine's are great, it's the lower units that keep giving me problems.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I started twirling wrenches as a tech student in high school. They figured I was too dumb to go to college, I guess. I'm only 70 now.

Erik02c

Cadet

Guys thanks for all your help! The one problem that had me wondering if I should even bother rebuilding the tank is that I can not for the life of me get the screws out of the top of the tank. I Have tried everything and it is like they are welded on. Any suggestions? THANKS! -Eric-

Erik02c

Cadet

I agree with you samo about the colors. 1958 was definitely the best year!