Need fuel line assistance, converting to 4 bbl on Volvo 5.0L GL

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Hello,

I am getting ready to install a Holley 0-80552:
http://www.holley.com/0-80552.asp
onto my 1999 Volvo 5.0L GL PWTR, as a replacement for the stock 2bbl.

It currently has this factory electric fuel pump/fuel line setup:
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Fuel...*****.736487624--store_id.366--view_id.312650

Fuel line appears to be my only snafu I haven't quite figured out yet.

I am told my Holley carb has 5/8"-18 inverted flare fuel inlet. Unfortunately my current factory flexible fuel line (#6 on diagram above, P/N 3858220) has larger threaded ends than the new Holley carb will accept...obviously a different (larger) size. Also, the pre-bent stainless ends on the factory fuel line are in the wrong position for me to be able to re-use it anyway, as the new Holley has its fuel inlet in a different location, and the flexible line kinks when I try to get it into that new position.

Soooooo...it seems I need to fabricate a fuel line from the factory pump the the new carb. And I want to do it correctly to meet USCG safety requirements, etc...

1. What is the most economical way for me to do this? Suggested name brand products, links, etc would be appreciated.
2. Does anyone know what thread size my Volvo factory fuel pump outlet is? Or how can I figure it out? I need to end up with a flared line that is male in (that Volvo size) on the fuel pump end, and male in 5/8"-18 on the carb end. And I'm sure an adapter can be utilized...but I'll need to know the size in order to buy one.

Haven't measured length yet, but it's not too long a run...maybe 12 to 14 inches or so...

Suggestions? As always, thanks in advance.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need fuel line assistance, converting to 4 bbl on Volvo 5.0L GL

Went out and looked again, had a simpler thought...re-using my existing braided USCG line. With new carb, my new line can be about 6" shorter than my factory line with no problem.

With that knowledge, can I just leave the fuel pump end on this line, which already fits and has a proper 90 degree bend, and then cut the carb end off (which is about a 120 degree bend that does NOT fit the new carb at all), and replace that end with a straight fitting that has 5/8-18 Holley carb threads? A straight end would make it fit perfect.

It aughtta be cheap if I can find the right size fitting since I'd only need to buy one, but is this possible, safe, and an appropriate solution?

Thoughts and input are appreciated.