Need for a splash well???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am completely rebuilding a '73 18' Starcraft Chieftain.
I am current rebuilding the transom. It has a 3' splash well and I would like to at least make it shorter. I have never had a boat with a splash well before... aren't they primarily for ocean-going boats? To be safe, I can cut it down to 18" and still gain some room. Any help is appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need for a splash well???

Tom, A whole lot of outboard powered boats have splashwells. They catch and direct water from a wave or more likely a boat wake that would normally end up in the cockpit. The splashwell on my 14' runabout kept me from sinking several times.

If you cut it down, you will increase your chance of sinking as well.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the splash well was originated for rough water boats, but no longer. they were incorporated in to runabouts in the 70's. they purpose is to keep from taking water over the stearn (getting everything wet), in quick stops, or in a trailing wave pattern. if you are cruising along a 3/4 throttle and the engine quits, the backwash can come over the stearn. you can cut it down, but you must leave clearance for the engine to be tilted completely up.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I modified my splashwell with no ill effects. I have taken following waves of significant size without issue. You just have to make sure the motor can tilt all the way. Another thing you can do for safety is to either fabricate or purchase what walleye fishermen use. They are smoked plexi panels that bolt to the outside of the transom on each side of the outboard, and effectively close off the open area around the outboard. They do it for backtrolling, which can end up causing a lot of water to enter the splashwell.

I think a little water still comes in as there is no definate seal between the motor sides and the panels, but it is considerably less water. I have considered fabbing some panels for my boat, with a piece a rubber to go from the panel to the outboard side, on each side. Just for increased safety, my lake can get really rough sometimes...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Splashwells did not go out of style. My 1998 21' SeaSwirl has a splashwell.

I looked at an '95 24' outboard powered boat without a splashwell. It also had a fully cut down transom, which gave it 3 inches of freeboard, across the entire transom. I passed on it, since I thought it would always be wet, and with any significant wave action or maybe just acceleration, it would be easy for any unsecured gear to be fall overboard.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

chris, the boat you looked at was probably self bailing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The boat was indeed self-bailing, as is my SeaSwirl, which has a splashwell. The question is whether you want waves breaking over your transom, even if the boat is self-bailing. I for one, do not. I like dry feet, especially in November.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Also, a point that has not been touched yet, is the strength it provides. Often, boats that had them were made weaker in other places. On an 18 ft, 3 ft is probably on the hefty side. You can probably cut it down to 18 in safely. Plus, the storage under it is real handy. When we get ours done, we can put our two 6 gal fuel tanks, and 1 battery under it. And, you can leave the back of the bilge open to clean it and maintain pump.

iwombat

Captain

It's also a great platform for cutting bait, filleting that nice 30lb chinook without risk of dropping it over the side, or tying off that hog of a 'but you just dragged in before motoring back to the docks.

I'm all about splashwells.

ted655

Petty Officer 1st Class

The splashwell IS, as much for strength. leave it there. Mine has only the center space in front of the motor open. The steering cable, control cables, battery cables and primer all share the space nicely. The remaining areas on both sides are covered with narrow "decks" that can be removed to access under if ever needed. Since I have dual perminent fuel tanks, the fill caps are mounted flush on these decks and the hose goes through the bottom of the splashwell to the tanks.
Whomever built this, made sure to weld a larger pipe neck around this opening about 3" tall. this keeps water from leaking around the filler hoses into the boat.
Down here I stand on mine and use my "push pole" to slip over mud bars. We also put cusions on them & sit while we handline for crabs. I find these mini decks very handy. They are better to lay my big belly on whislt I untangle my prop too!

i386

Captain

I just wanted to jump in on the strength thing too. If you look at my pics of my boat dissasembled you'll see that almost all of the strength is the splashwell. Mine doesn't even have that thick piece of wood that's sandwiched in like most boats have.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys are awesome!!! I have completed the transom and this weekdend hopefully I will hang the outboard, tilt it all the way up and see how much room I need.... I'm fairly sure an 18-20" splashwell will do it. I am also going to strengthen it (it's aluminum sheet and cracked on top) underneath with some maple.... I'll have to post a pic when it's done..

Thanks guys!!!

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW.. almost 4 years later...lol here's some pics of what I did with the splashwell .... thes epics are old too... I did have to redesign it... duh... the motor wouldn't quite trim all the way up!!! Did someone say that?? :)

Attachments

• Top view splashwell.jpg
    Top view splashwell.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 23
  • New Splashwell.jpg
    New Splashwell.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Splash-well.jpg
    Splash-well.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Transom motor mount.jpg
    Transom motor mount.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 23

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Too funny, dug up his own ancient thread for an update. Good one Tom!:D

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I finally started a rebuild thread for a boat I've been mosyly "NOT" working on for four years... so I thought I'd tie up a few loose ends too!! lol

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've read in other threads that the splash well has broken loose, and was only held in with a few rivets and L-brackets.....It may add strength, but I would think a smaller version, tied into the boat better than stock would be stronger than stock.

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lon, Take a look at my pics above and here..... I'm 220 and can stand on my splash-well, no problem... it is solid as a rock!!!

Attachments

• Nautolex splashwell.JPG
    Nautolex splashwell.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Nautsplsh.jpg
    Nautsplsh.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.