Need advice on painting aluminum boat roller and tip method

Primitive Pete

Seaman Apprentice
Painting an aluminium Jon Boat with roller and tip method. Using Rust-Oleum self etching oil based Marine primer and regular Rust-Oleum for a top coat. Painting entire boat including below the water line. Boat has solid factory paint with bare sections where some welding was done. Welded areas ground and sanded smooth.

My steps - Sand with 80 grit, wash with TSP, rinse with 50% water and white vinegar, air dry and paint.

Questions - I assume rinsing with plain water after vinegar rinse is not necessary.

Some people here have used Rust-Oleum on their aluminium boats. Did that include below the water line? If yes, how long did it last?

Boat is in fresh water only for 6 months a year.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need advice on painting aluminium boat roller and tip method

Did that include below the water line? If yes, how long did it last?

Ayuh,... 12 years, 'n countin', with annual touch-ups...

Btw,... 80gr. is Way too rough...
Try 240, or 320...

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Vinegar is to weak , look in your paint department for phosphoric acid.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Boat is in fresh water only for 6 months a year.

Constantly in water for 6 months ? or just in and out ..

There is a sticky in the top of the forum .. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=457159

You can go that way..or other ways which I have not personally tested.

Depending on what "fresh" water your talking about can mean the difference of Alum-primer-paint application.

I dont normally just Rinse off with water then start the prime coats. You have to surface prep every stage of coatings correctly.

I agree that 80G is Way too cource for raw alum prep. 320 is what I like.

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For the rustoleum I'd also recommend adding the Valspar Acrylic enamel hardener. Really hardens the paint and makes it last longer. Also speeds the curing rate by 40%. I agree with YD I use 320 grit for final sanding. I would also use Rustoleums Bare Metal Primer AFTER the Self Etching Primer. I also thin the Rustoleum with a 1/2 cup of Acetone. Helps it flow better with the Roll n Roll method.

Primitive Pete

Seaman Apprentice

OK, change in plans. Going to paint with Interlux Brightside. Would have used the regular Rust-Oleum but they did not have the colour blue I was looking for.

To answer some questions - Using a 40 grit sanding disk on an angle grinder to grind down the areas that were recently welded, then using 100 grit on a random orbital sander to smooth it out and roughen the existing paint before priming. Using 220 between coats of primer and each coat of paint.

The boat will be in a fresh water river that drains 3 huge lakes 15 miles up stream. No brackish water here. River is 200 yards wide but only 28 feet deep in the channel, shallow but weedy at the river banks but good fishing. Not much of a current. Don't know what else to say about the water that would affect how to paint the boat.

My questions - Brightside says to thin with Interlux 333 brushing liquid but ratio is heat dependent, using more if it is colder. Is 333 necessary when roller and brush painting in the 70 to 80 degree range?

Brightside also recommends Interlux Pre-Kote primer. Does anyone think that is required? Have some Rust-Oleum Marine oil based primer for aluminium that I am told is self etching. Will call Rust-Oleum to see if it is self etching. If not, will change the primer too. My guess is if boat is clean, treated with Alodine 1201 and primed with the Rust-Oleum marine primer it should be all set to be painted with the Brightside.

Any thoughts?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You can get ANY color you want with Rustoleum. ANY COLOR!!!!
What Color are you wanting???

Primitive Pete

Seaman Apprentice

Looking for the Brightside Ocean Blue, Interlux number Y4253/qt. I know you said the paint can be tinted with artists colour but reluctant to do that. Concerned with not having UV color protection resulting in fading. Prefer to but factory made off the shelf.

Please let me know how to get the Interlux Ocean blue colour with UV inhibitors.

Thanks