Need advice on my project!!!!

oregon00

Seaman Apprentice
Okay so I went to get an estimate on bodywork for my 1973 fish and ski. He offered that instead of doing the bodywork, he could swap my boat for another one in the yard behind the marine. The other boat just needs a new floor. If the boat he offered to swap for mine is setting on the ground for atleast 2 years, would the hull be rotted as well? The exterior on the new boat would look better than mine and he will put my motor on that boat and sit it on my trailer for me. I just need advice!

thanks yall!

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need advice on my project!!!!

there's a reason he wants to swap, unless he's a close friend or family member I'd be leary.

a70eliminator

Captain

I would much rather deal with a little bodywork than rotton floors, that rot doesn't just stop at the deck. Sounds like your trading cosmetic damage for structural damage. I would rather have an ugly boat thats healthy than a pretty boat thats very sick.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Is he trying to sell you the other hull or trade even. I would start walking away.

Things that sound too good to be true.. well you know...

I once owned a boat called "No Mercy"

oregon00

Seaman Apprentice

it does sound almost too good...i would do the body work myself but I have no way of working under the boat considering i dont have a boat jack.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

There is a reason he wants to get rid of that boat and I really doubt all it needs is a floor, those usually rot from the stringers up, especially if it has been just laying on the ground for 2 years.

I would just stick to the original deal.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My initial reaction is this: Chances are this is a better deal for the marina than for you. I would take my boat to another shop for an estimate and forget about this place.

Of course, I could be wrong, but these types of deals often have a big down side.