Need advice on 115HP ELPTO or Optimax

Bent Creek

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a new Mercury 115hp for my 2001 1860SC Crestliner Mod V Hull Jon Boat. I currently have a 1985 Johnson 70 Hp on it. The boat has been modified to include a addition 300 lbs or so of fiberglass structure on the gunnels and storage compartments and I need a performance boost as a result. The Johnson currently pushes the boat at 32 mph (GPS reading) bvut I'm starting to experience more engine problems than I'd like. I bought this 70 new years ago and am looking for the right upgrade. Thanks for any advise you can offer, pros and cons of each.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need advice on 115HP ELPTO or Optimax

If you've had good experience with the Johnson, why not get an E-tec, better than the Opti in my opinion.

What is an ELPTO??

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Ditto on what he said. Johnnyrudes are tops IMHO.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree w/ every one, e-tec, or the ficht (do they still make fichts?) 2-stroke = almost zero work, i prefer to keep it simple, and 2-strokes are much more simple than 4's
I would go w/ these unless you have a real good deal lined up, or there is a real good reason to buy a merc.(yeah right);)

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cricket-
E- electric start
L- Long Shaft
P- Power
T- Trim
O- Oil injected

Bent Creek

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input, I do love the ETEC, however the price tag on it is a bit more than I think I'd get away with spending. (wife).. The shop that has my motor carries Mercury and they gave me a complete out the door cost Quotes of:
$7,200 for a 90 HP Merc. 2 stroke ELPTO
$8,900 for a 90 HP Optimax
$9,200.00 for the 115 Optimax
$11,151 for a 4 Stroke 115 HP Optimax

These costs include Controls, cables gas tank, set up and drive. I don't buy often and am still making my decision. I don't know hte real effect a late model 90 2 stroke will have on my boat vs the late model 115 hp Optimax. My boat weighs dry and before my addtional 650lbs. I figured I put approx. 300 more into it, and with my 290lbs roughly 1300lbs. Will the difference in hole shot, top end be vary different between the 90 and 115?? I hear not. Is it worth the extra $. I do like to go fast.....
By the way, the ETEC was my first choice but just on looks alone. Would a 90 HP Etec compare functionally.

thanks again

Bent Creek

Seaman Apprentice

The ELPTO I guess is teh basic 90 HP Mercury, the Optimax is an upgraded motor I guess. Still quite sure of teh differences.

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i would just be sure to talk to dealers of both merc and jonney/rudes and see what they think of the setups you are considering, then compare pros/cons. Some dealers may come down on price if you work at it too, it worked for my grandpa when he bought a new motor.

What part of michigan are u from, im by Grand Rapids and know a guy who owns a dealership that gave my tourney buddy a really sweet deal on a new '03 rude 200 for his ranger.

Bent Creek

Seaman Apprentice

I'm from Macomb Twp. Mi. Just north of Mt. Clemens. I get to GR often on Business (HS Die) off Lake Mi Drive.

I wonder what your buddy would charge for a 90 ETEC. Set up on my boat with control, cables. Any chance I can get his information and a quote?

Appreciate it.

He can e-mail me at
bentcreekflyrods@comcast.net

There are a couple pictures of my boat on my wedsite in the Photos page.

www.bentcreekflyrods.net

Thanks

Nick

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Bent Creek....Is the ELPTO 90 Merc a carbed motor or EFI. The Optimax system is the Direct Injected 2 stroke system.

I'm pretty sure there isn't an Optimax in 4 stroke, the 4 strokes are generally EFI, I don't think any companies have come out with a DI 4 stroke yet, although I hear they will be out soon.

The E-tec is BRP's newest Direct Injection system, the best out there, the Optimax system doesn't compare. OMC/BRP originally bought both the Ficht system and the Optimax system, they decided that the Ficht was the better of the 2 and sold the Optimax to Merc. Both were originally problematic, but Merc being owned by Brunswick didn't get hit as hard by all of the problems that OMC did, hence it's now BRP.

BRP continued to advance the Ficht system and eventually revolutionized it into the E-tec system. It's leaps and bounds above the Optimax system. I'd do some research into that Optimax system to see if you want it, Merc tended to go the other direction and put their resources into the 4 stroke technology, which was really made by Yamaha for them, and then they went the way of the Verado, which still makes no sense to me.

Just giving you a little info.

Bent Creek

Seaman Apprentice

Cricket Too, I'm not too sure at this point about the ELPTO. I just know it's out there. If this version was carbed and not EFI, then knowing that not all things progress into development through pure need, bit rather to keep up with teh "jones". Does the Merc carbed late model Engines compare at all the the even later EFI's such as Optimax. It is a cheaper (less $)engine than the Opti 90. But will it provide the speed / power I'm looking for.
Thanks for your input and knowledge.

alana

Seaman

stick to a 2stroke .4strokes will cost you a fortune to maintain. all those valves and belts. i know i`ve been there