Need Advice: Considering Boat or Jet Ski's

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
1,648
IMO jet drives have their place, but the inefficiency of a jet ends it for me, especially for a boat. We've have a lot more time with boats, and our limited time on other people's pwc's make us glad we have boats - pwc's are fun, for a brief rip by yourself
 

djtech2k

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 13, 2014
Messages
9
IMO jet drives have their place, but the inefficiency of a jet ends it for me, especially for a boat. We've have a lot more time with boats, and our limited time on other people's pwc's make us glad we have boats - pwc's are fun, for a brief rip by yourself

What do you mean by inefficiency? Do you mean fuel consumption or something else?
 

briangcc

Commander
Joined
Jul 10, 2012
Messages
2,429
To be polite... the advice from 2014 still applies today and you were the originator. That's more than likely why it was merged by a moderator.

As for the specific boat...personally, I wouldn't own a jet boat period. I fish...in weeds...alot...and have no desire to be diving under the boat to clear weeds/a sucked in rope/what not from an impeller.

Generically...with the possible number of people you're talking about you may be in pontoon territory. Lots of room for people and their stuff. Trust me, they bring stuff...and more stuff. And you'll be tripping over their stuff while trying to get to your stuff. Either that or look at a deck boat if you don't like the looks/performance of a pontoon. Probably in the 22'+ territory for that load as anything smaller gets tight...quickly.
 

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
49,038
Thanks. I have no idea how this topic ended up being added to the previous thread from 2014.

Because there was no reason to start a new topic when you asked the same questions but adding the Yamaha. It finally got you to reply to a thread you started.
 

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Oct 6, 2012
Messages
762
From my experience jet skis get old quick, it's just to much of a beating. With a boat you have a platform for fishing, swimming, just relaxing or hanging out with friends after the kids run off to school or lose interest
 

djtech2k

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 13, 2014
Messages
9
Ok. I was just a little confused when I came back to see it merged. I didn't even remember the original existed since it was so long ago so it surprised me.

I think the majority of the time, I will have 4 people or less on the boat. It could be more occasionally but I think the vast majority it will be like 4. I have thought about something like a pontoon but transporting it does make me nervous and I'd like to be able to do fun stuff like pull stuff behind. I know that would be harder with a pontoon. I have never laid eyes on a deckboat nor do I really know the use-case for it. I have seen a few advertised though.

Of course I would prefer to have a boat in the 21' range, but because of the prices I see and the fact that I do not yet know exactly how much I will get to use it, that is why I had been looking at that AR192 I mentioned. From all the others that I have found in that kind of range, the other AR192's I have found seem to be much higher priced than the one I saw for < $23k. I am just using that as a reference because it seemed like a good price. I am trying to determine if it is a good price and/or if I should be looking at something different.
 

djtech2k

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 13, 2014
Messages
9
Also, based on the feedback, which makes a lot of sense, I am most likely looking for a boat. I really like the idea of having PWC's, but it may be that a boat is just a lot more practical. Now what kind of boat and all that, well I think that's what I need to figure out now. Not living on a lake or down the street from one does make it a bit harder since I can't go see or test these boats whenever I want to.
 

SeaCrow

Cadet
Joined
Aug 1, 2019
Messages
18
I would go with a boat thats set up for fishing/being able to pull skies and water toys. Thats the best way I think. You can fish when you like or have a fun day towing the kids. PWC will get old after awhile IMO.
 

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Aug 25, 2018
Messages
174
Boat is my vote. More versatile but more maintenance. Also with 4 on board imho you'll be more comfortable in at least a 19 ft. bowrider. Nothing worse then being crowded on a boat.
 

djtech2k

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 13, 2014
Messages
9
I am not considering anything smaller than 19' in a boat. I would prefer 21' or better, but not sure if I want to go that deep for one.

Anyone have any experience with the Yamaha jet boats or have specific benefits or issues with jet vs prop? I know someone mentioned efficiency, but I do not know what that applies to. I know jet is safer with people in the water and you don't have to worry about hitting debris with the prop, but also a jet can suck up stuff too. I have never even ridden in a jet boat so I have no experience to use.
 

briangcc

Commander
Joined
Jul 10, 2012
Messages
2,429
I think the majority of the time, I will have 4 people or less on the boat. It could be more occasionally but I think the vast majority it will be like 4. I have thought about something like a pontoon but transporting it does make me nervous and I'd like to be able to do fun stuff like pull stuff behind. I know that would be harder with a pontoon. I have never laid eyes on a deckboat nor do I really know the use-case for it. I have seen a few advertised though.

Deckboats I would equate to the SUV of the boating world. Topside has generally a layout similar to a pontoon but has a V-hull underneath it so you have the performance of a traditional boat. Hurricane is one manufacturer that caught my admiral's eyes but most major manufacturers have them. Just have to go looking for what's out there.

**Although truth be told, my admiral fell in love with the new Chap - 23 H2O Sport. Probably our next one once my current Chap is paid off...although the Four Winns 210 is also in the running.


As for safety in the water...use common sense. Most major manufacturers these days have extended v-plane (or other proprietary terminology) where the outdrive is sunk into the hull under the swim platform. If its a major concern, buy an extended swim platform that will totally cover the topside of the drive in case someone is jumping off the back of the boat.

As for hitting stuff with a prop....unless you're running SS and really whack the snot out of it, you generally can limp back to the dock OR even swap on a spare prop and go about your day. Ruin the impeller in a jet boat and you're pretty much done from my understanding.
 

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jul 23, 2015
Messages
884
Let's start with a very simple question to help dial this in: What is your tow vehicle?

You seem to really like this Yamaha Jet boat that you saw. Go take a look at it and see what you think. Do not buy it without a water trial and see if you like how it handles in the water. You will find out very quickly if one engine will suit your needs. If you have any reservations, don't buy it. Offer the buyer some money for fuel and towing as a courtesy and move on. If they don't want to do a water trial, move on.

After that, spend the rest of the summer renting as many different types of boats as you can. Try different layouts and power plants. You will have a much better idea by the end of summer what will better suit your family. Depending on where you live, boat prices can drop pretty significantly at the end of the season, then you can buy something that suits you. You will have the winter to do all of the necessary PM on the boat and become familiar with the boats mechanics and hit the ground running in the spring.
 

djtech2k

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 13, 2014
Messages
9
My tow vehicle is a Ford F150 Raptor. I have never even been on a Yamaha boat so my interest in it has been because it looks like a pretty good deal, based off of boat searches I have been doing. I have always liked the idea of a jet boat, but again that't nothing more than a thought and I do not know if its practical or a good idea. My boat experience was when I was a kid, which was a long time ago lol.

The lakes closest to me are 2.5+ hours away, so doing test drives and renting is quite a bit harder for me to do just because of location. What you are saying absolutely makes sense though.
 

roffey

Commander
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
2,206
I'll start by saying I have never owned or ever been behind the wheel of a jet boat. I have always owned prop boats. In my research I found jet boats are very maneuverable, need less water to run and turn on a dime. Prop boats are faster, quieter and use less gas.

I drive a 2017 3.5 ecoboost and it is a rocket, love that truck. I can just imagine how the Raptor handles.

let the games begin, lol
 

djtech2k

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 13, 2014
Messages
9
I have been doing some basic searches on common sites like trader and iboats. I put in basic criteria, like 2012+, 18-25'. I get results, but most boats I see are upper $20's and up from there. So I even open the years up to 2008+ and there are definitely more, but I expected to see more prop boats with lower prices. That is why the Yamaha AR192 I found seemed like a good price, based on those kinds of searches. Other similar boats seemed to be much higher in price.

I do not have any certain brand/manufacturer loyalty or anything. I do remember that when I was kid I remember my fathers boat people always saying how bad bayliner's were. Other than that, I have nothing else to judge so to speak.

I have not been around boats for many years now but it would be fun to have one. I'm just trying to determine what kind of thing I should look for and expect to pay, whether its a jet or prop boat.
 
Top