Need Advice and Opinions again***Final Outcome***

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: Need Advice and Opinions again***Final Outcome***

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Some warning signs.<br /><br />Other drivers honking at you more often; more instances when you are angry at other drivers. <br /><br />Friends or relatives not wanting to drive with you. <br /><br />Trouble paying attention to or violating signals, road signs and pavement markings. <br /><br />
Ok SBN,<br />How many of these do I need to have before I have to quit?<br />I am already up to three and I am only in my mid 30's!! :eek: <br /><br /><br /> :D <br />AK Chappy

Skinnywater

Commander

AK Chappy wrote; <br />
How many of these do I need to have before I have to quit?<br />I am already up to three and I am only in my mid 30's!!
You can still drive if you put the bong away. :p <br /><br />EFHenry, is it possible to get some additional and useful information from your State Hyway Patrol? <br />They might have some suggestions for you also.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good Morning America has a report coming up on this issue in just a few minutes.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New test to help determine if an older driver is a safe driver. AAA has a computer screening program to help determine if one can drive safely. Drivers 65 and older have the highest rates of fatal accidents, when very young drivers are excluded. The purpose of the AAA program is to extend safe driving as long as possible<br /><br />look at www.aaa.com, the program that has the test on it costs $15.00. <br /><br />All of this info came from Good Morning America this morning, hope it helps.

D

DJ

I think that was an excellent list posted by SBN. Who knows, he might meet some new friends in one of the meetings/classes.<br /><br />Approach him this way. "Dad, the roads aren't what they used to be. We all need a refresher to keep up with the changes in roadways and especially the people using them."<br /><br />My father gave up night driving, on his own. They plan their trips carefully and avoid congestion as much as possible.

ehenry

Commander

UPDATE: My eldest sister called me late yesterday afternoon and told me that she'd signed both Mamma, Daddy and herself up for a driving refresher course at the Baptist Medical Center's Senior Services Unit. Sis is 61 and she figures if the folks see that she's taking the course too there wont be as much resistance. Can't wait to hear how this comes off.<br /><br />I saw, yesterday, on my way home from work where they had their accident. When he hit the curb he also got the oil pan on the car and possibly the transmision. Theres an oil slick ont he road about 2 feet wide and probably 1/8th of a mile long where he pulled over. The oil slick ended before he pulled off. There are a couple dribbles on the pavement where he pulled off the road. I saw the oil slick on the road, and a hunk of curb missing Monday on my way home and really didn't much about it other than "Man, somebody screwed the pooch there."<br /><br />Pop heard from the Cadillac place and just the parts bill as a shade over $5,000. I told him if it were my car I'd find out what the final cost at the Cadillac place is, what insurance was going to pay on it then negotiate another car with the Cadillac place. My way of thinking on this is that this accident is going to affect his warranty since the engine and transmission is involved, plus all the suspension. That it would be in his best interest to get another car just for his and Mama's piece of mind if nothing else.

D

DJ

ef,<br /><br />Sounds like you have a plan.<br /><br />I'm not sure I agree on dumping the Caddy. He'll take a HUGE bath on it. The warranrty will be no issue if the car is repaired correctly. I suggest you use the Cad. dealer body facility or one they endorse.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

DJ hit it spot on.<br />Use the one the dealer wants you too.<br />That way it will, I hope, be fixed back to original specs and have no effect on warranty.<br /><br />Good luck.

ehenry

Commander

DJ,, its back at the dealership where he purchased the car. I'm sure the dealership will do all they can to repair it correctly. Pop has bought a number of cars from them and will do anything they tell him to. He wont even take the car back until they tell him they are through with it. <br /><br />I on the other hand have never been very trusting of dealerships service departments ever since a Toyota dealership flat lied to me on a truck transmission.

ehenry

Commander

Took Pop to the dealership to check on his car Monday. After talking with the guys in the shop and the sales manager he bought another car. He took a pretty good bath on the deal but he has piece of mind that he's got a car that hasn't been wrecked and is brand new. I asked him after he wrote the check and they were processing the paper work if he was happy with the deal. He told me that he had made up his mind to get a new car and was willing to pay 6K more than he did. Its over now and he's happy.<br /><br />My question to anyone that knows is...Will the Northstar system in a Cadillac shut the engine on low oil pressure before any damage is done?? Just curious.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> My question to anyone that knows is...Will the Northstar system in a Cadillac shut the engine on low oil pressure before any damage is done?? Just curious.
No ef,<br />You need to have BlondeStar installed for that.<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know how they would be to instal but if worried about him checking guages you could instal murphy guage switches. These will shut down at low oil or high temp or whatever. The downside is when it shuts down so does the power steering, power brakes, and if in the fast lane makes it hard to get out. A person can reset the guage and run the engine after that if they think of it.<br />I have just today seen this thread. If worried about his driving abilities check with teh DMV or the law enforcement. Here someone can come to us with a concern or complaint. If it is serious enough I can send in a request for a re-test of their license. This way I am the bad guy, not family. Usually people here will get a restricted license, restricting them to so many miles max from home, daylight hours only, 2 lane roads only, etc. Driving is usually one of the last freedoms people have. Usually when this is taken they feel they lost everything.

ehenry

Commander

The reason I asked about shutting the engine down was, after he hit the curb it knocked a hole in the oil pan, got the oil filter and filter mount among other things. He drove it down the road to a suitable place to pull off. The car left a 2 foot wide quater mile long trail down the road and ran out of oil bout 1 tenth of a mile before he could pull off. My concern was that the engine DID run without oil in it.