Need a stock pick.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
geesh I would openly say but, I've had a few poor picks the past few months .. <br /><br />I've got some inside advice on a few but, I'm skeptical yet .. need to hear some more news before I jump aboard myself.<br /><br />wish I felt comfortable opening my mouth.. If I hear something reassuring I might throw it out for ya ..<br /><br />you looking to make a move quick? or are you relaxed?

f_inscreenname

Commander
Need a stock pick.

I know there are money managers, brokers or individual investors on this board. I not ask for a conflict of interest or anything like that just a tip or a direction to look. Everything (that's any good) is up. I love Reit’s for there dividends and stable growth but I am over weight now. I have about 2 grand to work with and would like to buy a block (100) to keep things even. What's your pick?

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Need a stock pick.

Google is at 175.00 a share. That will get me about 11 shares. Also it been on fire and anything that burns that hot has to burn out. So isn't SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO (SIRI) up two hundred percent in three months. I am sure you all herd this before. After much research 6 months ago it came down to two stocks and Sirius was one. I chose the other. It sucked. Time to move on to something new.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

IMX.....$9/$10..new bomb detection...army navy testing now... Jabil circuit contract for production...just waiting. Been in a damn long time and thought it would have popped by now, but I'm in for the long haul with a 1000shrs. Check it out at Yahoo. I also am still kicking myself about Taser. Could have bought at $3.61 just after 9/11, but thought "just how many Taser guns do the airlines need"...seems I didn't figure the cops, and it fell off my radar screen. And it went up what, 10,000 percent? Stupid, stupid, stupid as I didn't bite on the way up as its so overvalued. Anyway, IMX next big thing I hope, I betting the farm here my self

bekosh

Lieutenant

Take the Lions +10 or more at home if you can get it. Otherwise take Indy -9 or less.<br /><br />Never mind, bad idea. 41-9 :mad:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Most any top name company that pays a dividen is good such as GE etc:<br /><br />There are more millionaires now then ever, and they buy a good stock that pays a dividen and they ride it out "up & down & up again!!!" ;) :cool:

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to decide if you are going to buy a stock as a long term invest, or as a trade that you will buy/sell/buy/sell. Depends on your personality and comfort level.<br /><br /> Number of shares you buy is not important, whats important is the percentage that your money gains/loses.<br /><br /> If your looking for something to buy and "forget" the energy sector whould be a good choice.<br /><br /> These are the stocks I own. LMIA, SIRI, SBL, JDSU, XTO. I am debating dumping JDSU.<br /><br /> These are the stocks that I want to own if they drop in price enough. CHTR, CNXT, MSN, NFLX.<br /><br /> I highly reccomend listening to Jim Cramer on the radio. He is a very good teacher. His web site is thestreet.com or realmoney.com. Just remember to use him as a teacher and not your stock picker. Although he helped me make some good money when I bought CNXT at 1.60$ before it broke up.<br /><br /> For all you youngsters out there INVEST INVEST INVEST. Not to late for us older guys either.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Trust me, you don't want my advice. About 35 years ago I convinced a bunch of my family to invest in a start up company that was going to produce a machine to handle those big reels for computers, kinda like a juke box does with cd's. We put together a little over $25,000.00 and bought the stock. A few months later somebody invented disks. I haven't ever heard the end of it.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Invest in an CD or IRA with a decent rate and forget about it...

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by f_inscreenname:<br /> .....I have about 2 grand to work with and would like to buy a block (100) to keep things even. ....
Just curious, why do you want to buy a block? I understand that there were advantages of doing so a while back, but with the way brokerages price transactions these days those advantages seem to have disappeared. Plus you limit yourself to a stock in a very limited price range....

f_inscreenname

Commander

Alright, lets take a step back for a second. First let me say I am not a novice at this. I received a inheritance back on 3/9/2000 (the day the Dow and Nas peaked) all in stocks and bonds and learned the hard way. At the time the portfolio was full of tech stocks and couple stable bell weathers with dividends. It didn't take long to realize that I needed to change a lot of things. So over the years I have moved most of it into stable stocks that pay dividends (so I don't have to watch them every min of the day). Most of what I hold now is very long term holdings. Out of the 18 companies I own now 15 (or about 85% of my holdings) pay a good dividend (Fly rod; GE is one of them). <br /> Snap <br />As for “Invest in an CD or IRA with a decent rate and forget about it” I have a couple corporate bonds and a couple Treasuries (plus a IRA) so I have enough of them % wise. I also have a couple of Reits that have paid a awesome dividend and have grown like a growth stock should but like I said before I am already overweight in that area.<br />Bigfun <br />This would not be a long term holding unless it worth keeping. A quick run up and I will take profits and run. This is my “risk money”. It is kind of a side project where I allow myself outside of my normal portfolio to throw caution to the wind (to a point). I gave myself $700.00 to play with to start 2 years ago. After playing with Rite-Aid(rad) for a year or so I nearly tripled it. Well then I got into Cnxt during its run after the merge. When it turned south I was out (tech stocks scare me) only down about 10% but that was enough. As for energy the biggest percentage stock holding I have now is Exxon (at a 52 week high with a good dividend) but like all energy stocks that are any good they are all near a 52 week highs. To rich and to easy to pull back a lot if oil prices come down any. As for the rest of your picks I will look into them. I also want SIRI but with the run up it has had I think it will come down a lot when the news dries up. You just missed the MSN dividend pay out ($3.00 a share) but the stock has been performing well the last 6 months. I also listen to Kramer but I like Larry better. <br /> Lakelivin <br /> I understand about percentages but with what I allow myself to play with ($2000.00) I am not going to find many stocks (over 20 bucks) that will run up 10 or 15 bucks so I can get a decent % gain. Under $20 bucks I can get a block and for every buck to the up side is a $100.00. Like I am sure you already know. I have also found it is easier to find a stock (under 20 bucks) that will run up a couple bucks on the smallest news and that can mean 10,20,30% in no time. With a higher priced stock it my take years (with all kinds of good news) to get that kind of gain. I also like pre and after hours and if you don't have a block you are not going to sell it unless the market is open. <br /> This time I am just looking for something off the radar that has a good history and is not overpriced (but ready to pop). Maybe a Co that missed this quarter (one time thing), oversold, ready to release some news that will move the share price or on the comeback trail from past problems. If I lose it the babies will be feed but with no risk there will be no gain. Just look at it this way. Its my Vegas money, looking for a gamble but like all gamblers I like to play a game that has better odds of winning then losing and that is where you all come in. I am sure many here have that one stock that no one else is paying attention to on the move. That is what I am looking for. <br /> Thanks for all your help folks and keep them coming.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

'something off the radar that has a good history and is not overpriced (but ready to pop). "<br /><br />Thats why I like IMX (Implant Sciences). Little risk of downside, and huge potential upside with the bomb sniffer. Plus stable core medical biz. And on the AMEX, so aint minipulated so much like Naz stocks, and small float. But what the hell do I know, made and lost damn near a hundred thou in the 2000 meltdown

f_inscreenname

Commander

“But what the hell do I know, made and lost damn near a hundred thou in the 2000 meltdown’<br /> Wow! Not bragging but as of today I am only down 5% from the 2000 high. Lots of work and luck.<br /> Thanks again Robby.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Look at Danaher DHR what a track record. I started work for them in 97 they were at 18.00 when they split 2:1 5/04 they were at 93.00 today they are at 58.00 my pension fund loves it. Check out there 10 year graph it's impressive..........

f_inscreenname

Commander

Thanks BLU <br /> If it is that good I may have to put some of my "core holdings" money into it. <br /> Dam I wish there was a message board for investments that was like it is here. Any other stock board is full of pumpers and dumpers, shorts and longs all looking to influence the board in there favor. Like my 100 shares is going to change things but if you get enough sheep..... No reason for anyone here to not tell the truth.