Need a spare prop for my boat.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am trying to figure out what is the stock prop on my boat, 2010 Bayliner 185 Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha One. I want to get a spare prop for it but when I go to Iboats and look for props they have many different sizes and pitch sizes for that motor. I want to stay with aluminum for the fact god forbid I hit something the prop will take the grunt of the damage. So with that being said I want something that will give me alittle more speed at cruzin RPM which I try to stay aroun 3000 rpm. Would going to a 4 blade prop opposed to a 3 blade prop be better or just go with a different pitch 3 blade prop?

Sorry but this is all real new to me. Also what other parts should I be getting as just to have around just incase for replacing the prop. I saw in other post like Thurst washers, some marine grade greease. What else is needed?

Thanks.

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Need a spare prop for my boat.

Start by telling us what you're running now, and what performance you're getting.

Don't put too much into the AL being better at absorbing shock than stainless steel. Sounds good on paper, doesn't necessairly tranlate to reality.
AL props are cheaper, but will also not stand up to minor dings.

I was running an AL 3 blade 14.25 X 21P on my 18.0' bowrider with the 4.3L MPI. Switched to a stainless steel 4 blade 19P, and I couldn't be happier.
Much better hole shot, planes out sooner, holds plane at lower speed.
Probably lost a bit of top end mph, which doesn't matter me.

Anyway, what are you running now for a prop, and what are your performance numbers?

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Start by telling us what you're running now, and what performance you're getting.

Don't put too much into the AL being better at absorbing shock than stainless steel. Sounds good on paper, doesn't necessairly tranlate to reality.
AL props are cheaper, but will also not stand up to minor dings.

I was running an AL 3 blade 14.25 X 21P on my 18.0' bowrider with the 4.3L MPI. Switched to a stainless steel 4 blade 19P, and I couldn't be happier.
Much better hole shot, planes out sooner, holds plane at lower speed.
Probably lost a bit of top end mph, which doesn't matter me.

Anyway, what are you running now for a prop, and what are your performance numbers?

Have to figure that out. My boat is slipped right now so I will see this weekend. I don't remember seeing this mentioned anywhere in my Owners Manual either.

BoomerSooner

Seaman Apprentice

Your prop will say on it what it is. Either on one of the blades or on the main body of the prop. Choosing a prop depends on what you want to do. Watersports? Cruising? Speed? Too many different variables until you give us a little more info.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

SO I called Bayliner to ask what is the stock prop on my boat and they said it is a 14 1/4 X 21P 3 Blade Aluminum prop. So I guess what I would like is to have a blade that gives more speed at 3000 rpm? Guess something more efficent at cruising RPM.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A 20" 4 blade should improve your low to mid range performance.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Another option, if you truly just want a spare, is to buy a used prop (preferably from a prop shop or marina, as you'll want some assurance it's good, especially if it's a single piece hub*).

But buying a new prop with a slightly different pitch would mean you also might be able to tweak the performance of your boat a bit, which might improve how it works for towing or top speed. To me, I like this idea as I have a "spare" (was my original) and I got to see how a different pitch might help (I liked the perforamce my new prop, with a different pitch, as it worked better, so now my old prop is the spare).

* If you already have a two piece prop (hub kit + propeller), you can save some money by just buying a new propeller that fits your hub (assuming the inner workings of the hub don't get destroyed should you take a hit. For this reason my spare is a single piece prop - I just don't know enough about the failure mode of the two piece props).