need a little advise

ebrich2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hello all, i need a little help to remove a couple of scratches from the side of my 88 ranger that i had gotten when i rubbed up against the dock that had really heavy duty plastic rubbery curled up pipe that our city had on the dock as bumpers but this one was broken so when i come in to dock the end of it kinda rubbed up against my boat and left a long white streak down the side of my really dark colored ranger. i don't think it gouged the gel coat or even really scratched it but that plastic is just stuck to the boat. any ideas on how to remove it?
Thanks,
Ben

Re: need a little advise

ebrich2,

As long as it did not cut into the gel-coat, I would try a couple of different things. I would start by using a light abrasive cleaner. I don't think regular boat wash is stout enough to take it off, but you can always start there if you aren't quite ready to rewax. Any kind of abrasive, even a soft one will take the wax off. If regular wash or a light abrasive doesn't work you may then try a "Goof Off/ Goo Gone" product. Holy crap I just had a thought. I read something this week about WD-40 as a cleaner for all kinds of things. Read the label. I know it is a little weird sounding, but the info on WD-40 list a crap load more uses other than lubricating. If none of that works you can try a heavier abrasive cleaner. You will defintly need to wax afterwards, and maybe compound as heavier abrasive cleaners like Comet or Bar Keepers Friend can leave swirl marks in the gel-coat. Whatever you do, I think I would rewax the spot, unless a regular boat wash takes care of it. This is just my opinion and I am sure some more guys will chime in soon. Good luck.

Ches

ebrich2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I think ill start with the least aggresive and move up to the most till I get rid of it. Thanks again,
Ben

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Nope.. Jeff had it spot on.. Acetone on a rag.

Acetone will not hurt gel..only wax :) ..

Rub the crap outa that PVC markings with acetone rag and buff whatever the outcome will be ( hopefully you wont need any polish )

YD.