Nautic star 210DC best prop?

jgso

Cadet
I have a Nautic star 210DC with a Suzuki DF140 outboard. This boat will do approx. 31 mph at WOT. THis is with 2 people, very low fuel and at about 5400 rpm. With a full tank the results are surprisingly still around 30mph.

This top speed seems a bit slow to me. I'm thinking this boat and engine package should go about 40mph. Am I wrong?

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge and input of what prop Is best or other peformance improvers?

Thanks for the help!

hwsiii

Commander
Re: Nautic star 210DC best prop?

Jgso, welcome to Iboats prop forum and we will try to help you as much as we can but without more information no one can help you, and I will tell you I need more information than anyone else. But if you would like my help fill this form out and I will help you as much as I can, if you would prefer to not go to this much trouble there are other people who will help you.

Iboats Boat and Motor Info
1. Year, make and model of boat
2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat
2a.What is the recommended HP for your boat
3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat
4. What do you use the boat for
5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of deadrise
6. Year, make and model of motor
7. HP and gear ratio of motor IMPORTANT
If you don?t know the ratio, you need to pull the plugs out and put a piece of tape across the prop and the lower unit and then cut it between the prop and the housing and turn the motor until the tape lines up with each other, it is easier if two people do this, so one can watch the prop while the other counts the revolutions of the motor
8. Manufacturer?s recommended Wide Open Throttle (WOT) range
9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above keel of boat if it is an outboard in inches
10. Is it a bass boat or does it have a pad bottom
11. Does it have a hydrafoil, dolefin or trim tabs
12. Make, model, diameter, pitch and whether SS or aluminum prop
13. WOT RPM and speed from your current prop and how much gas and how many people were in the boat for the test data and is the speed by GPS. If you do not have a tach you can buy a Tiny Tach for $ 50
14. Are you at sea level or a higher elevation, give us the elevation in feet
15. Has your motor been tuned up lately and have you checked that the carburetor butterfly is opening all the way, checked compression, and looked at the plugs and checked spark, all of the foregoing could be the reason your prop is not attaining full RPM
16. How long has this prop been on the boat and why, at this time, do you think it is the wrong prop
17. Does the prop show any damage that you can see
18. What problems are you trying to cure or what are you looking for the boat to do that it is not doing the way you think it should or to your expectations
19. If you are trying to attain a better cruising speed and fuel savings or trying to attain a faster speed I will want you to take your boat and run it with 1 or 2 people and give me the RPM and speed readings starting at 3,000 RPM in 500 RPM increments all the way to WOT.

REMEMBER, The numbers I give you will be NO better than the information you give me

The only thing I ask of you is to come back and give me a report of WOT RPM and speed for my database.

H

jgso

Cadet

Thanks for your kind offer to help! I am gathering the requested info, but with my travel schedule it may take me a month or so.

I'll get back with more data soon.
Thanks
J

jgso

Cadet

Hi Commander,

Sorry to have taken so long to get back with data. My health is poor, didn't get my boat back in the water till last week, my wife broke her arm 1st day on the boat, weasels attacked us, You know the drill!

Anyway, I think I got all the info you requested! The answers are included with questions below. Thanks in advance for your help!

Iboats Boat and Motor Info
1. Year, make and model of boat: 2005, Nautic Star 210DC, deckboat
2. Length, width and base weight of boat, look for boat decal on back of boat: 21' L, 102"w, 2650LBS. base weight.
2a.What is the recommended HP for your boat: 200hp max.
3. Number of people and gallons of gas normally on boat: 2-3 peeps, 50 gal fuel.
4. What do you use the boat for: cruising, fishing, mostly coastal intercoastal waterway.
5. Is it a Deep Vee and if so how many degrees of deadrise. It is a V hull but Not sure on deep V question. Manufacturer data not specific and only states transom height 25", draft 16".
6. Year, make and model of motor: 2005 Suzuki DF 140. Direct Fuel injected 4 cycle.
7. HP and gear ratio of motor IMPORTANT. :140hp, 2.38:1 gear ratio.
If you don?t know the ratio, you need to pull the plugs out and put a piece of tape across the prop and the lower unit and then cut it between the prop and the housing and turn the motor until the tape lines up with each other, it is easier if two people do this, so one can watch the prop while the other counts the revolutions of the motor
8. Manufacturer?s recommended Wide Open Throttle (WOT) range: 5600rpm-6200rpm.
9. Anti-ventilation Plate height above keel of boat if it is an outboard in inches:Approx level with keel.
10. Is it a bass boat or does it have a pad bottom. Not bass boat, not sure on pad bottom.
11. Does it have a hydrafoil, dolefin or trim tabs. No
12. Make, model, diameter, pitch and whether SS or aluminum prop. Raptor SS 13-1/4 diameter, 19" pitch
13. WOT RPM and speed from your current prop and how much gas and how many people were in the boat for the test data and is the speed by GPS. If you do not have a tach you can buy a Tiny Tach for $ 50: Speed tested with on board speedo, 1 person in boat, approx 45 gal. fuel. WOT = 34mph@5400rpm.
14. Are you at sea level or a higher elevation, give us the elevation in feet.: Sea Level
15. Has your motor been tuned up lately and have you checked that the carburetor butterfly is opening all the way, checked compression, and looked at the plugs and checked spark, all of the foregoing could be the reason your prop is not attaining full RPM. Tuned up at initial 100 hr. use time. Now at 140 hrs. same performance all the way since new.
16. How long has this prop been on the boat and why, at this time, do you think it is the wrong prop: Prop on boat since new. Not sure is wrong prop but I have seen reports that this motor achieves max HP at 5400-6200 rpm which it won't achieve. Boat cruises well and is easy on gas running in the inland waterway,. Feels a bit sluggish though when in ocean.
17. Does the prop show any damage that you can see: No
18. What problems are you trying to cure or what are you looking for the boat to do that it is not doing the way you think it should or to your expectations. I'd like more speed and power especially when used in oceaan, while hopefully not sacrificing fuel economy. I wonder if the engine is struggling with the current prop as will not achieve wot rpm rage.
19. If you are trying to attain a better cruising speed and fuel savings or trying to attain a faster speed I will want you to take your boat and run it with 1 or 2 people and give me the RPM and speed readings starting at 3,000 RPM in 500 RPM increments all the way to WOT.
Speed test with 1 person. approx 45 gallons gas.

3000rpm,less than 10mph- won't register on guage
3500 rpm-10mph
4000 rpm-20mph
4500 rpm-26mph
5000 rpm-30mph
WOT 5400RPM-34MPH

REMEMBER, The numbers I give you will be NO better than the information you give me

The only thing I ask of you is to come back and give me a report of WOT RPM and speed for my database.

:I hope I have been diligent enough to get the information you need. LMK if this report is OK.
Thanks for your help!
JGSO

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Wow its been a long time; welcome back.
H has been very busy with the oil spill I hope we can raise him.
You might try a pm.Your right the speed should be closer to 40.
In the mean time I can try some basic info.First your antivent plate should be visable at speed.usually ends up about an inch above the bottom.While it may be the original setup you might try to confirm the throttle is opening all the way.
Your max rpm needs to be closer to 6,200.The same prop in a 19 should put you at 5,800.a 17 about 6,200. By the seat of my pants I think a 17 is closer to what you need.My info says the gear ratio is 2.38:1 can you varify your numbers.Mine are unofficial.Perhaps your dealer will let you exchange props if you
intend to buy one.Other than raising the motor; wait on the prop change till you here from H.

jgso

Cadet

Hi Steel,

I hope H is having some luck working on the spill. What a disaster!

Anyway, My gear ratio info came from the Suzuki Marine site. I'll check on the throttle setting to make sure goes WOT. Won't be back to the boat for about another month as wifey broke her arm last time!

Good to hear I'm on the right trail though!

As you advise, other than the throttle check, I'll wait on response from H.

Thanks for your help!
J

jgso

Cadet

Checking in to see if H is back?

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Checking in to see if H is back?

H hasn't posted since January. If it is okay with you, Steelespike and several of us can provide meaningful input.

I see you currently have a Raptor 13.25X19P prop and hit 5400 rpm by yourself and 45 gallons of fuel. Given an increase of 200 rpm per inch change in pitch, you would need to change 4" in pitch to increase to your max rpm of 6200. This will also improve your performance out of the hole and probably get you to the 40mph desired.

At 3,000 rpm, you should be on plane and registering speed. Going with a Raptor 13.25X15P should cure what ails you(r boat).

Post any further questions and good luck!

jgso

Cadet

Update: I don't know what is the deal but I put a Suzuki 14DX18P SS prop on. It now does 6K with 65 gal fuel and 2 folks! I'm perplexed but pleased! Hole shot is much better and will trim much higher before cavitation. It is an amazing improvement!
So, if you have a Nautic Star 210DC with zuki DF140 this prop size looks like a good option!

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Speed? Or is 6K the mph :)

jgso

Cadet

6K is the rpm. Speed is about 38mph according to speedo. Haven't tested with GPS yet.

jgso

Cadet

GPS indicated speed is about 36 at wot with the bimini top up and 2 folks aboard.