natural vs. man-made lakes

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
do u fish on a natural or a man-made lake?<br />growing up in upstate NY with 20% of the freshwater <br />on the planet in MY backyard, I never realized how<br />many stocked/man-made lakes there were...<br />curious,<br />M.Y.

self taut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: natural vs. man-made lakes

We have both here on Okla.most in my area are man-made lakes.so of course more fishing is done on them than on natural lakes.around here alot of fishing is done on rivers and navigational channels as well.overall i would give an unresearched guess that about 80% to 90% are man-made

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Grew up in Louisiana fishing natural lakes, now in Texas, the only natural lake in the whole state is on the LA border. I've got maybe 8 or 10 big reservoirs within a 90 minute drive of here so I'm fishing made-man lakes now.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Spent most of my boating life on natural lakes.<br /><br />Now I venture out onto bigger flowages, which were made by damming up the rivers too make powerplants. So I guess they are half manmade.

Link

Rear Admiral

Grew up on man made lakes here in Cougar WA state. But now since 1973 here in "Lakewood WA" All of these were made by the big snow balls sliding and cutting through the area. Bunch of Pot holes up to 1 mile deep. In some areas just to build a foundation for a house pilings have to be driven down to 120ft to hit hard pan. This is at sea level. Last time Mt Raineer blew. Go 60 miles east (inland) and there is no hard pan. Just build and slide. Not in one lifetime but over time.

one more cast

Captain

I've fished mostly on a small local river but lately have been trying some man made reservoirs.Its like learning to fish all over again.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

right omc, no natural lake features you'd expect<br />on man made. but ain't u close to fingerlakes?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

not loading for me OMC. that is most. deff. the<br />"backwoods" up there. adirondacks region?