Name that boat

jjbarnes

Cadet
I was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light on the particulars of the boat in these pictures. I saw it on ebay and love the size and shape. I live on Truman Lake in Missouri which has alot of sunkin timber and would love a heavy boat like this.
What I do know: It was made for the government by several companies (Feathercraft...) in the 70's. it is 18ft 6" long.
What I think: It was pontoon half boat in Vietnam.
What I don't know: Everything else including how to get one. Are they any good. History, etc.

If anyone can fill in any of the blanks I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Joe

Attachments

• Boat1.jpg
    Boat1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat2.jpg
    Boat2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Name that boat

IMHO it looks like older commercial work boat or used by law enforcement with the light bar in back- not sure about the rails on the sides.
it looks very sturdy.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Those rails along the side look like handholds for people in the wate which makes me think immediately of some kind of rescue craft or lifeboat designed to be carried aboard a much bigger vessel. Interesting boat for sure.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Killer looking boat...
It does look like some type of Fast Response Boat..
Mount a 50 cal on her and go fishing!

jjbarnes

Cadet
More Pictures

More Pictures

Here are a few more pictures of the boat in question. Definately has an old military feel with heavy sides and large rivits. The console also gives that impression. I saw another one on a local craigslist post that was just a stripped hull with no console. The posting went down before I got around to asking the guy any questions. I assume these came in many variations and have been modified alot over the years.
I'm hoping with one of these heavy boats I can exact revenge on some sunkin timber.

Attachments

• Boat3.jpg
    Boat3.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat4.jpg
    Boat4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat5.jpg
    Boat5.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looks like a military boat, type construction, shallow water with the built in trolling motor. handle hold for passengers would be inside not outside.

Jeep Man

Commander

I'm thinking Dept.of Fish and Game, hence the camo steering wheel and color. The railing would be for tying to another boat while boarding.

jjbarnes

Cadet

I tried searching "Fast Response Boats" but didn't find anything that matched. Does anyone know of a class of boats this would fall under during the Vietnam war. The smallest I could find was in the 23ft range and didn't really match. I had heard they were tied stern to stern and side to side to make a man bridge over rivers.

I was going to option for the harpoon gun over the 50 cal., though it would come in handy in the flooded timber....

Killer looking boat...
It does look like some type of Fast Response Boat..
Mount a 50 cal on her and go fishing!

jjbarnes

Cadet

Thanks, that terminology is getting me closer but I think FRC's date back to the mid to late 80's. The pictures I found are very close to the boat in question but I believe I am dealing with the predecessor to FRC's and zodiac's
I tried a bunch of different search combinations with boat, craft, rescue, fast, aluminum, responce, etc... and never found a match. On the right track but still stumped.

try googling FRC or Fast Rescue Craft

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mid 70's, search and recovery. rivets like that have not been used for some time. "aluma welding". I Think river rescue, rails for hand holds and cletes for hooks. Not sure? BUT! A mini gun torrent on the bow would be impressive. engine age should tell.

jjbarnes

Cadet

Any idea on who might have manufactured this boat back in the day? The engine in the picture is a 175 Suzuki from the early 90's so it's not really relevant.

Mid 70's, search and recovery. rivets like that have not been used for some time. "aluma welding". I Think river rescue, rails for hand holds and cletes for hooks. Not sure? BUT! A mini gun torrent on the bow would be impressive. engine age should tell.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just guessing!!!! Many boats were built for a specific purpose and different water conditions and for different venues. I thought that engine age would solve mystery. When someone nails the age and make of boat, PLEASE! let me know .

jjbarnes

Cadet
And the winner is...

And the winner is...

Drum roll please.... After many hours of searching and emailing experts I have found the military spec. on this boat. MIL-P-52200B (ME) PONTON BOAT: HALF-SECTION, ALUMINUM HULL, SPOON BOW. That's ponton not pontoon. The center console was added by a state fish and game department that also ordered this boat and retrofitted it. I do not know the exact age of the boat in question but the original spec. (52200A) which is canceled is dated 1965 while the superseding B version is dated 1972. There is an aditional 1992 C version followed by a complete cancelation of the spec. in 1996.
Within that "B" spec. there is reference to a drawing DL13216E9807 (TA132...for C spec.) and pamphlet AMSME-FB-P715-100. If anyone happens to have that drawing laying around would they be so kind as to post a copy. I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks.
Joe

nightfisher

Cadet

I have all the information and historical pictures of this type boat that you need. You are right it is a ponton bridge half section. Used to clip together to make bridges out of. I have two and love them.

They are NOY heavy. This entire 18.5' boat hull without modifications is exactly 685 lbs. --- yet a bulletproof boat tha is built to last forever.

Try pricing aluminum boats like Duckworth, North River, etc. and you will begin to love these too.

Instead of center console I went the other direction with mine and made a console up front with the back of the boat open. A kind of striper boat set up. Big open floorplan like a pontoon boat, but drafts shallow and low in the water like a fishing boat.

Anyway if you will send me a private email with your email or number, I will be happy to chat with you more.

Attachments

• webpic fishguts .jpg
    webpic fishguts .jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0

jpittman

Recruit

I have all the information and historical pictures of this type boat that you need. You are right it is a ponton bridge half section. Used to clip together to make bridges out of. I have two and love them.

They are NOY heavy. This entire 18.5' boat hull without modifications is exactly 685 lbs. --- yet a bulletproof boat tha is built to last forever.

Try pricing aluminum boats like Duckworth, North River, etc. and you will begin to love these too.

Instead of center console I went the other direction with mine and made a console up front with the back of the boat open. A kind of striper boat set up. Big open floorplan like a pontoon boat, but drafts shallow and low in the water like a fishing boat.

Anyway if you will send me a private email with your email or number, I will be happy to chat with you more.
I looked at the same boat on ebay that started this thread. Any information you could provide on how and where to obtain one would be much appreciated. I'm looking for one to set up as a Bowfishing boat.

woosterken

Lieutenant

do a google for sam winer motors inc.
that will bring up a link to his web site, he is a military equipment surplus dealer.
if its military equipment he either has it or knows where to get it.
he even had a couple army tanks!!! and a small sub.
many years ago when i drove truck,i hauled all kinds of things for him from all over the country.

woosterken