NAACP - Liable for hate speech?

SoulWinner

Commander
One wonders what the organization's "leaders," President Kweisi Mfume and Chairman Julian Bond, have in store for the President this time around. Alas, it can't get much worse than Mfume's recent remarks, which accused black conservatives of being "ventriloquist's dummies," or Bond's bizarre references to Confederate swastikas and the President's "Taliban wing" judicial appointees. <br /><br />Also refusing to appear at the NAACP shindig was Education Secretary Rod Paige, one of Mfume's "ventriloquist's dummies." "I have a message for the NAACP's Julian Bond and Kweisi Mfume, who have accused black conservatives of being the 'puppets' of white people, unable to think for ourselves," says Dr. Paige. "You do not own, and you are not the arbiters of, African-American authenticity." <br /><br />Why are these folks entitled to produce "hate speech", the likes of which Sean Hannity would be sued for if he said it? The end time prophesy tells us that in the last days what is right will be called wrong, and what is wrong be called right. I guess it's just a sign of the times....

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: NAACP - Liable for hate speech?

Here is some more:<br /><br />"There is a Right-wing conspiracy, it controls the administration, both houses of Congress, much of the judiciary, and a major portion of the news media. ... Their idea of equal rights is the American flag and the Confederate swastika flying side by side. They've written a new constitution for Iraq and ignore the Constitution here at home. They draw their most rabid supporters from the Taliban wing of American politics. Now they want to write bigotry back into the Constitution. ... They preach racial neutrality and they practice racial division. ... We have a President who talks like a populist and governs for the privileged. We were promised compassionate conservatism; instead, we got crummy capitalism." --NAACP Chairman Julian Bond (How on earth could President Bush turn down such a charming guy?)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Your friendly forum democrat really does'nt give a damn about the NAACP.... I'd like to see someone nail the NAACP for slander or liable... But I can't see "There is a Right-wing conspiracy, it controls the administration, both houses of Congress, much of the judiciary, and a major portion of the news media." being un-truthful...<br /><br /> "The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People"... Their own name is'nt PC by their own standards (reference to colored)....

PW2

Commander

Yes, Snapper, I don't see any of Bond's speech un-truthful.<br /><br />And hate speech? Hardly. He is advocating getting people to register to vote, and to vote in their self-interest. Pretty mainstream and non violent- Certainly no more radical than the NRA.<br /><br />And how could a leader of that group do anything but advocate change in government--when that government specifically and repeatedly in its actions that is contrary to your goals.<br /><br />Bush should show up at some point in time, whether at their convention or some other venue, and explain how his policies are in the best interest of the minority communities they represent--that would be a tough sell, I think- but heck, if he could sell it, I may even vote for him.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Rush Limbaugh calls them "NAALCP", because it only represents LIBERAL colered people. They treat conservative blacks like leppers!<br />And the org started out being such a social success too. It's sad, realy. Now, I put it on<br />the same shelf as the U.N.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> Bush should show up at some point in time, whether at their convention or some other venue, and explain how his policies are in the best interest of the minority communities they represent--that would be a tough sell, I think- but heck, if he could sell it, I may even vote for him.
And PW2, maybe you could enlighten us as to what Bush should promise to these career slavery propagators? More of the same giveaways and reverse discrimination that has kept our Black brothers in emotional bondage to the new massa? <br /><br />These people, in essence, are accusing Bush of exactly what they are purposely doing. Julian Bond and Kasneezy Inflamey, along with Jesse Jackson, I might add, have a vested interest in keeping the black folk down on the new plantation. They are the ones that accuse every black man, who pulls himself up by the bootstraps, of being a lackey to the white man. <br /><br />To name a few of those 'lackies', Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, Walter Williams, Ward Connerly, Bill Cosby, Colin Powell. These are the men that the NAACP should be holding up to the black community, as positive role models. But oh no, we can't admit that success will not come at the hands of these modern day slavers.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

PW,<br /><br />They are a not political organization and therefor receive tax free status. What a crock of sheet they spew.<br /><br />How about the ad last election of George Bush being the reason a black man was dragged to his death..<br /><br />What a thoughtful group of enlightened free thinkers. Puke

SoulWinner

Commander

Boomyal, <br /><br />Well said. But further, look at this:<br /><br />
"There is a Right-wing conspiracy, it controls the administration, both houses of Congress, much of the judiciary, and a major portion of the news media. ... Their idea of equal rights is the American flag and the Confederate swastika flying side by side.
Look at this statement on it's face. Right wingers controlling the LEFTIST MEDIA? That is a stupid statement. No one could possibly believe such crap, and I don't know why anyone would say something so totally false.<br /><br />Right Wingers controlling the judiciary? This statement is pure lunacy. If it were true gay marriage wouldn't even be a topic of discussion. This is another statement that makes me wonder if the speaker is retarded, or speaking in the most inflammatory manner possible so that he can willingly and knowingly mislead his listeners who are ignorant of the facts. Kind of like Mike Moore, or any NAZI propagandist.<br /><br />Confederate swastika? WTF over? My great grandfather fought on the side of the confederacy. There were several reasons that the Confederate States of America chose to secede from the Union, and slavery wasn't among them. This type of statement does nothing to foster a mutually respectful relationship between blacks and whites in America, it works to drive a wedge of hate, anger and resentment between the races. The flag of the Confederacy is part of my personal ancestral heritage, and is under attack by ignorant people who don't know what they are talking about, they don't know history, they instead practice intellectual laziness because they are allow to by a liberal mainstream media who refuses to call them on these statements, and force the truth out of them, or put some education into them, whichever. What will they try to take from me next? My Bagpipes? (I have Scottish ancestry) Do we in the South not have a right to our proud history? How rediculous os that?!?!<br /><br />Plywoody, I simply can't believe that you have no objection to the divisiveness, untruthfulness and hatefulness of what these guys are saying. Or are you merely practicing your party's political policy of tolerance and inclusion? Supporting these people is no different than supporting the actions of an abusive husband who constanly puts down his wife and children via emotional abuse. Only a liberal would defend that garbage.....but I doubt you could explain exactly why.

PW2

Commander

Okay, <br /><br />But the statistics show that the policies we are espousing have not been very effective, and arguably counter-productive. And that the gains from the black community have come from specific legislative and judicial action, from Brown vs Board of education, and the civil rights act of 1964 for example.<br /><br />Sure you can always find a few exceptional individuals in any group, but you can't formulate public policy based upon a few exeptional individuals.<br /><br />And it is indeed hard to have faith in your elected officials when they show up on campaign stops in Portland, Oregon, for example, trumpeting themselves as the education president, at an elementary school in Beaverton, Oregon, a very affluent, and mostly white, suburb.<br /><br />or trumpet their no child left behind program while at the same time failing to fund it--while at the same time arguing in the supreme court against any sort of affirmative action in the Michigan case, or sponsoring a constitutional amendment to specifically deny rights to a specific minority population group.<br /><br />Now why would the NAACP think that you don't have their best interests at heart, I wonder? They have always got such wonderful treatment all these years.

SoulWinner

Commander

PW2,<br /><br />See, you just proved my last sentence, that:<br /><br />"Only a liberal would defend that garbage.....but I doubt you could explain exactly why."<br /><br />You do not specifically address any of disgraceful points/statements that I made direct reference to, and then you bail off into a diatribe about some unrelated, off-topic crap that the President isn't even responsible for, (because it doesn't give you the warm fuzzies that watching Kerry and Edwards fawning over each other in homo-erotic manner give you?). That is, after all, the MO of the intellectually lazy left; I should have seen it coming.<br /><br />Read the topic of the thread. Read my last post. Respond as though you are a thoughtful, intelligent, informed individual, or you risk coming off looking like someone who votes with their heart, not their head.

PW2

Commander

Well, Ok SW--while your diatribe didn't make much sense, if it will make you happy we will go point by point.<br /><br />The administration? Clearly controlled by right wing neocons. Do you dispute this?<br /><br />The congress? The majority party controls the issues raised, and clearly that is a right wing agenda. Why else would the Senate take up debate on a constitutional amendment against gay marriage when there are lots of other important issues to deal with, and not much time to deal with them. Happily it did not even recieve a simple majority, even when it needs a 2/3rd's majority.<br /><br />Leftist Media? Who are they? I see handfuls of right wing media zealots preaching their simplistic message, and I see a few media outlets attempting to be balanced. I would guess the majority of major newspapers endorsed Bush in the last election, and no doubt probably will again. The idea of a "Leftist" media is an invention of the right, who apparently thinks that anyone that does not sign on completely with their right wing idealogy must be leftists.<br /><br />And the judiciary. Clearly the supreme court currently leans to the right. We are just now seeing a few decisions that protect the constitution from the administration and the neo-cons--but that is hardly left leaning, unless you consider the constitution a "leftist" document. And the "activist" judges we are all so fond of hearing about are not activist at all--but rather protecting and defending the constitution--as is their sworn duty. Now I know they don't interpret the constitution like you and other radical right wingers would like them to, which is of course why we need to keep the radical right wingers off the Federal bench.<br /><br />Causes of the civil war aside, there is nothing so divisive in the realm of race relations in this country like the confederate flag. If you want to fly one personally, go right ahead. The constitution gives you that right. But when a state flies one, or has it on their state flag, it gives the authority of the state to the notion that one type of citizen is more important than another. The idea that the NAACP objects to this is hardly noteworthy. What would you have them do? Celebrate the notion that an entire group of people fought with their lives to keep them in servitude and deny them freedom? Doubtful if that is going to happen.<br /><br />And frankly I watched the entire Bond speech on C-Span, and I saw absolutely nothing hateful in it, nor do I see anything hateful in the quotes you posted. It was a call to action for their faithful to work within our democratic system to make their voices heard, their wishes known, and to promote their self interest.<br /><br />What could possibly be more American, or patriotic, than that?

PW2

Commander

Well, Ok SW--while your diatribe didn't make much sense, if it will make you happy we will go point by point.<br /><br />The administration? Clearly controlled by right wing neocons. Do you dispute this?<br /><br />The congress? The majority party controls the issues raised, and clearly that is a right wing agenda. Why else would the Senate take up debate on a constitutional amendment against gay marriage when there are lots of other important issues to deal with, and not much time to deal with them. Happily it did not even recieve a simple majority, even when it needs a 2/3rd's majority.<br /><br />Leftist Media? Who are they? I see handfuls of right wing media zealots preaching their simplistic message, and I see a few media outlets attempting to be balanced. I would guess the majority of major newspapers endorsed Bush in the last election, and no doubt probably will again. The idea of a "Leftist" media is an invention of the right, who apparently thinks that anyone that does not sign on completely with their right wing idealogy must be leftists.<br /><br />And the judiciary. Clearly the supreme court currently leans to the right. We are just now seeing a few decisions that protect the constitution from the administration and the neo-cons--but that is hardly left leaning, unless you consider the constitution a "leftist" document. And the "activist" judges we are all so fond of hearing about are not activist at all--but rather protecting and defending the constitution--as is their sworn duty. Now I know they don't interpret the constitution like you and other radical right wingers would like them to, which is of course why we need to keep the radical right wingers off the Federal bench.<br /><br />Causes of the civil war aside, there is nothing so divisive in the realm of race relations in this country like the confederate flag. If you want to fly one personally, go right ahead. The constitution gives you that right. But when a state flies one, or has it on their state flag, it gives the authority of the state to the notion that one type of citizen is more important than another. The idea that the NAACP objects to this is hardly noteworthy. What would you have them do? Celebrate the notion that an entire group of people fought with their lives to keep them in servitude and deny them freedom? Doubtful if that is going to happen.<br /><br />And frankly I watched the entire Bond speech on C-Span, and I saw absolutely nothing hateful in it, nor do I see anything hateful in the quotes you posted. It was a call to action for their faithful to work within our democratic system to make their voices heard, their wishes known, and to promote their self interest.<br /><br />What could possibly be more American, or patriotic, than that?

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

PW,<br />So the "right wing agenda" equals a conspirasy? Why do you suppose the Republican party controls the Administration, and both houses of Congress? Because a majority of the citizens of this country voted for them. Since when does the majority rule equate to a conspiracy?<br /><br />I don't agree with many of the social issues of the right. I believe in the right of a woman to make up her own mind whether or not to abort a child. I believe that gay couple ought to be able to marry, if that makes them happy. I believe that stem cell research should be allowed and supported. I do, however, fully respect the decisions of those elected officials, be they Republican or Democrat, when those decisions reflect the majority of the citizens of this country. I utterly dispise those who would thwart the majority rule. <br /><br />Why is it that so many Democrats feel that their opinions ought to count for more than the majority? It is this attitude of "superior intellect", and social "enlightenment" that so outrages many of those on the right, especially when many of the views don't hold up to the scrutiny of common sense. <br /><br />The fact that you can see no bias in the reporting of news within the last year is truely scary to those of us in the "middle". I have never realized a more leftest bias in reporting since I began watching the news. Fox appears to be the only exception to this rule, and they, unfortunately swing a little too far to the right at times. It's true that the media criticised Clinton when criticism was called for, but it was open criticism and not the "selective reporting" we see today. <br /><br />I heard that Ted Koppel, not exactly the bastion of right wing journalism, was interviewed recently and asked about his investigations into the actions of the congress before the Iraq war. Koppel claimed that he had recently interviewed dozens of members of both houses personnally and was amazed to find only three members who said that they would have voted differently had they known what they know now. This was true of even the most high profile Democrats like Hillary Clinton and Ted Kennedy. So, if the vote were taken today, regardless of the lack of WMD, regardless of the "lack" of links to Al Queida, Congress would vote FOR the war with Iraq. I thought this to be an amazing revelation that I would have never expected. Koppel thought so too in his interview, however he has yet to mention this on his show, Nightline. <br /><br />I notice that if a news article presents news that is not favorable of the current administration it get front page coverage, regardless of its relative interest. Those that tend to look faverable on GWB tend to get buried deep. For example, during the numerous reports of positive job growth that spured the market, my local paper, The Sacramento Bee, would cover these stories in the business section. Last week, when last month's job growth was not as high as expected, the article was placed on the front page. It is suttle, but the bias is there.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Plywoody qoute "or trumpet their no child left behind program while at the same time failing to fund it"<br /><br />Sort of like voting for the war in Iraq but not voting to send the supplies they need to be safe and succesful. And thats what yer boy Kerry did.

PW2

Commander

I will give you that one. "Conspiracy" is probably a poor choice of words. A conspiracy requires secrecy, and there is definitely no secrecy here.<br /><br />And for the record, Bond did not, in his speech, limit his criticism to republicans. He called many of the democrats "spineless".

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by joew94th:<br /> The fact that you can see no bias in the reporting of news within the last year is truely scary to those of us in the "middle".
I admit lately the bias has been to the left for the most part, but the media, for the most part, goes with the peoples thoughts. The majority of people now think the Iraq was was a mistake, so naturally, most media outlets will support that POV and air negative things about it. More people will watch if they're being told what they want to hear. The same thing happened during the run up to the war. The majority of people were for the war, and so was the media. I remember hearing very few things from very few people that reflected negatively on the war in it's early stages. For the most part, the media is biased towards the thinking of the people, nothing else. It must be hard dealing with the fact that if you're still pro-war, you are now the minority. As joew94th clearly said in this post earlier, "I utterly dispise those who would thwart the majority rule". And right now, anti-war IS the majority.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

Also, the majority of Spain wanted out of the war, and now they are. Are they wrong for pulling out? It's what the majority wanted even before the Madrid bombing so don't try and use that as an excuse.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

It is the job of the media to report the facts and not the popular opinion. (thats why they have on OPINION page) They are suppose to be trained journalists, but they are really partisian hacks.<br /><br />Any apologies issued on the hit pieces they did on Bush for the uranium purchases attempted by Sadam? Lousy reporting or bias does it really matter?<br /><br />This is a representative republic not majority rules (democracy) form of government. It is the job of elected officials to do what is in the best interest of the country not what todays polls say. If that were not the case, who would create popular opinion--yep, the media and they would become the ruling class, (which they think they are already) Therein lies the problem with career politicans.<br /><br />FYI: The majority of Americans are against abortion, affirmative action, welfare, set asides, minority contract requirements, Illegal immigration, France, Gay Marriage, Adult relations with interns, NAACP, come on lets vote on these issues!!!

SCO

Lieutenant

The problem is an inferiority complex that is now perpetuated by the black leaders. It is the easy way out to sit back and grouse about the man being the root of all evil rather than dealing with the problem. THe Black Man has to do this himself. The field is open, the way clear. It's capitalism baby! Self motivation cannot be transferred through a government program, and as long as the problem is attacked that way, the problem will exist and fester and breed hate and resentment(black toward white and conservative "sellout" blacks). Bill Cosby has the right idea. It is amazing that the left does not want to actually identify problems and solve them, they merely want to use those problems as a method to blame their opponents. In truth though, the affluence of the black population is increasing because many black people want a better life and are taking advantage of their opportunity to have one.<br /><br />Message to the NAACP leadership: If you rethink this and adopt the conservative party, your special interest group will advance much faster to your goals of parity. Your left leaning mentality is letting you down. You are spinning your wheels blaming the republicans... ditch the democrats, the party of disingenuous blame and no solutions.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

For starters, majority is for abortion. Check it out. <br /><br />2003-JAN: ABC News - Washington Post poll:<br /><br /> A majority -- 57% -- favor abortion rights in all or most cases; this compares to 59% in 2001. <br /> 69% oppose abortion procedures in which the fetus is partially delivered before being aborted; i.e. D&X procedures. <br /><br />The poll's error margin was 3 percentage points. <br /><br />Were you really serious about all those? I'd bet you're wrong on welfare and affirmative action too. And throwing France in there was just stupid.<br /><br />So are you saying that the politicians of this country actually do whats best for the country?? Thats good stuff. :D